Splunk Search

How to transfer decimal value into ASCII code in text string?

Jouman
Path Finder

Hi all, 

I have a field named as item_description which is an array of decimal value, which represents the description of each item.

I hope to transfer each value in item_description into text string for each item.

Original data:

| makeresults
| eval item_name = "Name_1,Name_2,Name_3,Name_4,Name_5", item_description = "65_66_67,68_69_70,71_72_73,74_75_76,77_78_79"
| makemv delim="," item_name
| makemv delim="," item_description
| eval mv_zipped=mvzip(item_name,item_description)
| mvexpand mv_zipped
| rex field=mv_zipped "(?P<ITEM_NAME>.*),(?P<ITEM_DESP>.*)"
| makemv delim="_" ITEM_DESP
| table _time ITEM_NAME ITEM_DESP

Although the purpose can be fulfilled by the following code. 

| mvexpand ITEM_DESP
| eval ITEM_DESP_char=printf("%c",ITEM_DESP)
| eventstats list(ITEM_DESP_char) as ITEM_DESP_char by ITEM_NAME
| eval ITEM_DESP_join=mvjoin(ITEM_DESP_char,"")
| dedup ITEM_NAME _time 
| table _time ITEM_NAME ITEM_DESP_join

Output:

_time ITEM_NAME  ITEM_DESP_join
XXX Name_1 ABC
YYY Name_2 DEF
ZZZ Name_3 GHI
000 Name_4 JKL
111 Name_5 MNO

If the item_description becomes very long(ex. lengh=50) and lots of items (ex. 50 items), the mvexpand command can't work properly with the output message below.
Error message:
command.mvexpand: output will be truncated at 28200 results due to excessive memory usage. Memory threshold of 500MB as configured in limits.conf / [mvexpand] / max_mem_usage_mb has been reached.

Is there any other way to transfer decimal value into ASCII and make the output as a string without using mvexpand command?

Thank you very much.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Have you tried my mvmap example?  It operates "locally" so to speak, processing one field in one event at a time.  mvexpand creates a ton of extra events (rows) that carry everything from the original row, therefore demands a lot more memory.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Do you mean mvmap?

| makeresults
| eval item_name = "Name_1,Name_2,Name_3,Name_4,Name_5", item_description = "65_66_67,68_69_70,71_72_73,74_75_76,77_78_79"
| makemv delim="," item_name
| makemv delim="," item_description
| eval mv_zipped=mvzip(item_name,item_description)
| mvexpand mv_zipped
| rex field=mv_zipped "(?P<ITEM_NAME>.*),(?P<ITEM_DESP>.*)"
| makemv delim="_" ITEM_DESP
| table _time ITEM_NAME ITEM_DESP
| eval ITEM_DESP_char=mvmap(ITEM_DESP, printf("%c",ITEM_DESP))

ITEM_NAME
ITEM_DESP
ITEM_DESP_char
Name_1
A
B
C
Name_2
D
E
F
Name_3
G
H
I
Name_4
J
K
L
Name_5
M
N
O
Tags (1)
0 Karma

Jouman
Path Finder

Hi Yuan,

Thank you for the reply.

The key issue in my code is, if the items or the item description become very long, there will be warning messages for mvexpand due to too many memory usage.

Is there any other method to avoid using mvexpand while converting decimal values into text array?

Thank you.

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Have you tried my mvmap example?  It operates "locally" so to speak, processing one field in one event at a time.  mvexpand creates a ton of extra events (rows) that carry everything from the original row, therefore demands a lot more memory.

0 Karma

Jouman
Path Finder

Hi @yuanliu ,

Sorry for misunderstanding your reply at first. I saw mvexpand and I thought mvexpand() is part of the solution.

Thank you to introduce mvmap(). 
This command solves the issue indeed.

Thank you very much!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...