Splunk Search

How to sum up all the events in all the indexers with a month total?

juanv
Engager

I'm trying to see if there is a report or a query I can run to sum up all the events in all the indexers with a month total? I tried this but i'm not sure if this is the right search:

index=* | stats count by Period

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That query probably won't work unless every event you have has a field called "Period".

The Monitoring Console should have a dashboard that provides what you're looking for.  Look under Indexing->License Usage->History License Usage.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

As @richgalloway already pointed out, you can't aggregate data by a field that's not in your events. And a "Period" field most probably isnt't there.

Furthermore - unless you want to do a comparison of two different periods, you'd simply just pick a time range with the timepicker to contain a single day/week/month/whatever or use earliest= and latest= constraints within the search itself.

And you'd probably want to use tstats instead of stats - calculating stats over summaries is way way faster than searching from raw indexes.

You can also use either the license report directly, as @richgalloway said or look and calculate your stats over the index=_internal source=*/license_usage.log

There are a few options to get the stats - which one to use depends on what you need it for.

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That query probably won't work unless every event you have has a field called "Period".

The Monitoring Console should have a dashboard that provides what you're looking for.  Look under Indexing->License Usage->History License Usage.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...