Splunk Search

How to sum the values of a multivalue field.?

gvnd
Path Finder

Hi my query is:
index=_internal earliest=-60m@m latest=now|transaction method | table root method status bytes | nomv bytes

result for above query is:
alt text

Here, I want to sum of all the values of "bytes" field . i.e single value of bytes field for each method.

Thanks in advance

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

niketn
Legend

Switch from transaction to stats. Add sourcetype/source to your query if it is applicable. _internal index contains a lot of Splunk's sourcetypes for internal purpose.

index=_internal sourcetype=* earliest=-60m latest=now
| stats values(root) as root values(status) as status sum(bytes) as bytes by method

updated to remove count as you dont seem to require eventcount or duration.

PS: This is not a use case for transaction and stats should perform better in this case.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

adonio
Ultra Champion

using eventstats:

index = _internal | transaction method | table root method status bytes | eventstats sum(bytes) as Total_Bytes_by_Transaction | fields - bytes

alt text

DalJeanis
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You need a unique field for each transaction in order for eventstats to give you a by-transaction sum of the bytes. If you want the total bytes associated with each transaction, then you can do this...

index=_internal earliest=-60m@m latest=now
| transaction method 
| table root method status bytes 
| streamstats count as tranno
| eventstats sum(bytes) as totalbytes by tranno

...then, only if you want to retain the byte details for some reason...

| nomv bytes

... or if not

| field - bytes

tedwroks
Explorer

This works, but I found out that you have to use mvlist=t option in transaction, otherwise, repeated values in the mv field are not accounted for. i.e.,

index=_internal earliest=-60m@m latest=now
 | transaction  mvlist=t method 
 | table root method status bytes 
 | streamstats count as tranno
 | eventstats sum(bytes) as totalbytes by tranno
0 Karma

gvnd
Path Finder

Thanks for amazing explanation..!!

adonio
Ultra Champion

thank you for that!

niketn
Legend

Switch from transaction to stats. Add sourcetype/source to your query if it is applicable. _internal index contains a lot of Splunk's sourcetypes for internal purpose.

index=_internal sourcetype=* earliest=-60m latest=now
| stats values(root) as root values(status) as status sum(bytes) as bytes by method

updated to remove count as you dont seem to require eventcount or duration.

PS: This is not a use case for transaction and stats should perform better in this case.

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...