Splunk Search

How to sum the numbers based on a condition and store it in new field?

amaurya1
Explorer

Requirement -
account_no can have many session_no and session_no can have many sub_session_no. For each session, I want to find the total number of fails with no success at all and finally I want to sum all these fails.

index=abc sourcetype=xyz 
| eval is_passed=if(label=="PASS", 1, 0)
| eval is_failed=if(label=="FAIL", 1, 0)
| stats values(sub_session_no),  sum(is_passed) as pass, sum(is_failed) as fail by account_no session_no
| eval fails_within_session = if(fail > 0 and success = 0, sum(fail), 0)
| stats sum(fails_within_session) as Total_failed

Problem - I get an error in the second last line of the code saying "sum" can't be used with eval. Can someone please help me with this?

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

rbechtold
Communicator

Hey Amaurya,

Since the "fail" field is already a sum of the "is_failed" field by account_no and session_no, you should be able to use it directly in place of the "sum(fail)" portion of your eval function to find the failures per session.

index=abc sourcetype=xyz 
| stats values(sub_session_no), sum(is_passed) as pass, sum(is_failed) as fail by account_no session_no 
| eval fails_within_session = if(fail > 0 AND pass = 0, fail, 0)

If I'm misunderstanding the question, please let me know and I will re-work the answer!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

rbechtold
Communicator

Hey Amaurya,

Since the "fail" field is already a sum of the "is_failed" field by account_no and session_no, you should be able to use it directly in place of the "sum(fail)" portion of your eval function to find the failures per session.

index=abc sourcetype=xyz 
| stats values(sub_session_no), sum(is_passed) as pass, sum(is_failed) as fail by account_no session_no 
| eval fails_within_session = if(fail > 0 AND pass = 0, fail, 0)

If I'm misunderstanding the question, please let me know and I will re-work the answer!

0 Karma

amaurya1
Explorer

@rbechtold - Thanks a lot.. I think you are right, it's giving me correct answer.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...