Splunk Search

How to subtract two timestamps by session/ transaction_id?

user33
Path Finder

I have two events where in order to get a response time, I need to subtract the two timestamps. However, this needs to be grouped by "a_session_id" / "transaction_id." The two events I need are circled in red in the screenshot attached. I need those two events out of the three events. Every "a_session_id" has these three logs. source="/apps/logs/event-aggregator/gateway_aggregator_events.log" is always after source="/logs/apigee/edge-message-processor/messagelogging/gateway-prod/production/Common-Log-V1/14/log_message/gateway.json"

Please let me know if you need more information. Such as snippets on the SPL. Any assistance is much appreciated!

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can do this

... data selection search...
``` Create a new common field from the transaction ids ```
| eval tx_id=coalesce(a_session_id, transaction_id)
``` Collect the times by the new transaction id ```
| stats values(timestamp) as start_time values(a_timestamp) as end_time by tx_id
``` Now calculate duration by parsing the two different time formats ```
| eval start=strptime(start_time, "%F %T.%Q")
| eval end=strptime(end_time, "%FT%T.%Q")
| eval duration=end-start

this will calculate the difference between the two timestamp fields in the two rows. If. you wanted to calculate the difference using the _time field, you could use range(_time) as duration in the stats command

View solution in original post

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can do this

... data selection search...
``` Create a new common field from the transaction ids ```
| eval tx_id=coalesce(a_session_id, transaction_id)
``` Collect the times by the new transaction id ```
| stats values(timestamp) as start_time values(a_timestamp) as end_time by tx_id
``` Now calculate duration by parsing the two different time formats ```
| eval start=strptime(start_time, "%F %T.%Q")
| eval end=strptime(end_time, "%FT%T.%Q")
| eval duration=end-start

this will calculate the difference between the two timestamp fields in the two rows. If. you wanted to calculate the difference using the _time field, you could use range(_time) as duration in the stats command

0 Karma

user33
Path Finder

This looks great! One thing to note: 

• As another option, is there any way I can order stats by a bucket of time? (E.g. "| bucket timestamp span=1h@h") Taking the perc95 of the time?

THANK YOU!

0 Karma

user33
Path Finder

Actually, I figured it out. Thank you very much!!

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...