Splunk Search

How to subtract dates in the format (%d %m %Y %H:%M:%S %Z) to find the difference?

jcorominas
Explorer

Dear all,

Data is indexed from a CSV file.

I am trying to calculate the amount of seconds between a couple of timestamps.

The dates are in %d %m %Y %H:%M:%S %Z format and I am trying to do it this way:

...x | eval compliance_time=strptime("first_date", "%d %m %Y %H:%M:%S %Z")- strptime("second_date", "%d %m %Y %H:%M:%S %Z") | eval compliance_time=compliance_time/60 | eval compliance=if(compliance_time<900, "Compliant", "Non-compliant") | timechart avg(compliance_time)  |gauge avg(compliance_time) 1 5 10 15

I've checked current answers already, but unfortunately, I might be missing something.

first_date="21 10 2015 11:16:16 UTC"
second_date="21 10 2015 11:18:46 UTC"

but compliance_time is empty.

Let me know if you need more details.

Thank you,

0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

What you need is to enclose field name within single quotes for field names containing spaces. This is required for eval and where commands. Try something like this

...x | eval compliance_time=strptime('first_date', "%d %m %Y %H:%M:%S %Z")- strptime('second_date', "%d %m %Y %H:%M:%S %Z") | eval compliance_time=compliance_time/60 | eval compliance=if(compliance_time<900, "Compliant", "Non-compliant") | timechart avg(compliance_time) |gauge avg(compliance_time) 1 5 10 15

View solution in original post

somesoni2
Revered Legend

What you need is to enclose field name within single quotes for field names containing spaces. This is required for eval and where commands. Try something like this

...x | eval compliance_time=strptime('first_date', "%d %m %Y %H:%M:%S %Z")- strptime('second_date', "%d %m %Y %H:%M:%S %Z") | eval compliance_time=compliance_time/60 | eval compliance=if(compliance_time<900, "Compliant", "Non-compliant") | timechart avg(compliance_time) |gauge avg(compliance_time) 1 5 10 15

jcorominas
Explorer

Hello Rich, Somesoni,

Yes, you're both right.

Renaming and single quotes would have worked.

I came across the solution yesterday after initial Rich feedback regarding removing double quotes but wasn't able to post the answer due the "rookie user" limitation to 2 posts per day.

I consider this close, sorry to bother you, thanks again.

0 Karma

piebob
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

please pick one of the answers to accept--i know it's hard when they're both right! 🙂

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Remove the quotation marks from the first arguments to your strptime commands.

eval compliance_time=strptime(first_date, "%d %m %Y %H:%M:%S %Z")- strptime(second_date, "%d %m %Y %H:%M:%S %Z")
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

jcorominas
Explorer

Hi Rich,

I need the quotations marks as the name of the field has an space, is Created At, which I have to quote it as "Created At".

Thank you,

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I suspect strptime doesn't handle quoted field names well. Instead, it is trying to parse the literal string "first date" and not getting a time in the given format. An alternative is to rename fields before parsing them.

... | rename "first date" as first_date, "second date" as second_date | eval compliance_time=strptime(first_date, "%d %m %Y %H:%M:%S %Z")- strptime(second_date, "%d %m %Y %H:%M:%S %Z") | rename first_date as "first date", second_date as "second date" | ...
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...