Splunk Search

How to subsearch/multisearch date based on minimum of main search?

arusoft
Communicator

lets say I have a subsearch or multisearch.

I want to have my subsearch/multisearch date to be 30 days before the start of main search date.

Right now i have it hardcoded all the way from start date of my data . But in reality I am interested only 30 day before main search.  The main search will be something like "Before 03/01/2022". So here my subsearch  earliest date should be  from "03/01/2022" minus 30 days  till "03/01/2022" 

| multisearch
[search index="abc" ]
[search index="xyz" earliest="11/01/2021:20:00:00"]

Thanks.

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Give this a try

| multisearch
[search index="abc" ]
[search index="xyz" [| makeresults | addinfo | eval earliest=relative_time(info_max_time,"-30d@d") | eval latest=info_max_time | table earliest latest]]

View solution in original post

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Give this a try

| multisearch
[search index="abc" ]
[search index="xyz" [| makeresults | addinfo | eval earliest=relative_time(info_max_time,"-30d@d") | eval latest=info_max_time | table earliest latest]]

arusoft
Communicator

Thaks @somesoni2. Below is simple test based on your example and this is working fine, but I am not understanding what is going on here ? Why are they in brackets []?  Are we overwriting time modifiers earliest and latest fields? If yes why are these fields not highlighted in green color indicating that they are time modifiers fields. 

index="xxx" [| makeresults | addinfo | eval earliest=relative_time(info_min_time,"-30d@d") | eval latest=info_max_time | table earliest latest]
|timechart span=1d count

Also why is this not working. This looks like just ignoring the eval I did similar to above. 

index="xxx" 
| addinfo 
| eval earliest=relative_time(info_min_time,"-30d@d") 
| eval latest=info_max_time 
|timechart span=1d count

Thanks

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

The subsearch with "makeresults" is generating custom time range, earliest and latest. Using it in the way mentioned here, will add (behind the scene) "earliest=<value> AND latest=<value>" in the subsearch using it. Since it happens behind the scene, syntax is not highlighted.

| multisearch
[search index="abc" ]

Below search doesn't work because, earliest and latest is being added as field and not as filter.

index="xxx" 
| addinfo 
| eval earliest=relative_time(info_min_time,"-30d@d") 
| eval latest=info_max_time 
| timechart span=1d count

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi   @arusoft,

you could use a larger time period for both the searches (e.g. two monts), then in the main search put an additional limitation like this:

your_main_search
| eval main_earliest=relative_time(earliest,"-30d")
| search _time>main_earliest

and in the subsearch use something like this:

your_main_search
| eval sub_latest=relative_time(earliest,"-30d")
| search _time<sub_latest

Obviously it isn't a very performant search!

if you have few events, you can use as it is, otherwise you have to accelerate it using e.g. a summary indexes.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

arusoft
Communicator

Thanks @gcusello . 

Below is what I tried and I am getting no data. I have data all the way form Nov 1, 2021. And I ran the below search for last 30 days. So I was hoping it would give me data from last 60 days since I am going  30 earlier than my earliest main search. BTW I am running this directly in search and not in dashboard.

index=xxx
| eval main_earliest=relative_time(earliest,"-30d")

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @arusoft,

please try this:

index=xxx
| addinfo
| eval main_earliest=relative_time(info_min_time,"-30d")

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...