Splunk Search

How to start transaction with the earliest event

jasongb
Path Finder

I need to document a transaction that begins with a multithreaded process. The process creates multiple entries in an event log:

Message: UseCaseX.ProcessData ItemID=5 Provider=123 ElapsedMilliseconds=230 timestamp=09/21/2017 10:16:33 AM
Message: UseCaseX.ProcessData ItemID=5 Provider=333 ElapsedMilliseconds=130 timestamp=09/21/2017 10:16:38 AM
Message: UseCaseX.ProcessData ItemID=5 Provider=999 ElapsedMilliseconds=780 timestamp=09/21/2017 10:16:41 AM

The 'Provider' value will vary on every occasion; there's no telling which Provider may come first.

The transaction ends with a single identifiable event log entry:
Message: UseCaseY.CalculateScore ItemID=5 ElapsedMilliseconds=780 timestamp=09/21/2017 10:16:58 AM

There are many other log entries and servers involved in the time between the beginning of the transaction and UseCaseY.CalculateScore. I'm trying to produce a transaction that will have its duration span from the first instance of UseCaseX.ProcessData to the instance of UseCaseY.CalculateScore.

searchHere | transaction ItemID startswith="UseCaseX.ProcessData" endswith="CalculateScore"

I'm getting a duration that starts with "10:16:41 AM", when I want my duration to start with "10:16:33 AM".

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...