Splunk Search

How to show a true value for the If function?

ranjitbrhm1
Communicator

Hello All i have the below query which is based on a ping request running on the back end.

the data looks like this

Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=48ms TTL=64

sourcetype=pingr Server=192.168.1.104 
| stats avg(ms) as averages by Server 
| fields - Server 
| appendpipe 
    [ stats count 
    | eval averages=0 
    | where count==0 
    | fields - count ]

So the below server will give me a value of 0 if the server is actually of instead of no results are found. I was wondering if its possible to show a text like "Server is off" if the value of 0 is returned and show the actual value of the server is on. I have tried the if command with eval and it kind of works but any value other than 0 should show the correct value of average calculated earlier.
Is this possible? Any help is highly appreciated.
thanks

0 Karma
1 Solution

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

Generically, you can use an if statement like this: eval averages = if(count=0,"Server is off",averages). Such that if the count is not 0, it retains the original averages value.

But in your case, wouldn't it be a simple matter of changing the eval in the appendpipe part?

| fields - Server 
 | appendpipe 
     [ stats count 
     | eval averages="Server is off"
     | where count==0 
     | fields - count ]

Or am I completely misunderstanding this example query?

View solution in original post

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

Generically, you can use an if statement like this: eval averages = if(count=0,"Server is off",averages). Such that if the count is not 0, it retains the original averages value.

But in your case, wouldn't it be a simple matter of changing the eval in the appendpipe part?

| fields - Server 
 | appendpipe 
     [ stats count 
     | eval averages="Server is off"
     | where count==0 
     | fields - count ]

Or am I completely misunderstanding this example query?

ranjitbrhm1
Communicator

This is spot on. I never taught the other way around.
Thanks

0 Karma

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

Glad it helped 🙂

Please mark the answer as accepted, so it is clear for others the question has been answered 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...