Splunk Search

How to show a true value for the If function?

ranjitbrhm1
Communicator

Hello All i have the below query which is based on a ping request running on the back end.

the data looks like this

Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=48ms TTL=64

sourcetype=pingr Server=192.168.1.104 
| stats avg(ms) as averages by Server 
| fields - Server 
| appendpipe 
    [ stats count 
    | eval averages=0 
    | where count==0 
    | fields - count ]

So the below server will give me a value of 0 if the server is actually of instead of no results are found. I was wondering if its possible to show a text like "Server is off" if the value of 0 is returned and show the actual value of the server is on. I have tried the if command with eval and it kind of works but any value other than 0 should show the correct value of average calculated earlier.
Is this possible? Any help is highly appreciated.
thanks

0 Karma
1 Solution

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

Generically, you can use an if statement like this: eval averages = if(count=0,"Server is off",averages). Such that if the count is not 0, it retains the original averages value.

But in your case, wouldn't it be a simple matter of changing the eval in the appendpipe part?

| fields - Server 
 | appendpipe 
     [ stats count 
     | eval averages="Server is off"
     | where count==0 
     | fields - count ]

Or am I completely misunderstanding this example query?

View solution in original post

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

Generically, you can use an if statement like this: eval averages = if(count=0,"Server is off",averages). Such that if the count is not 0, it retains the original averages value.

But in your case, wouldn't it be a simple matter of changing the eval in the appendpipe part?

| fields - Server 
 | appendpipe 
     [ stats count 
     | eval averages="Server is off"
     | where count==0 
     | fields - count ]

Or am I completely misunderstanding this example query?

ranjitbrhm1
Communicator

This is spot on. I never taught the other way around.
Thanks

0 Karma

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

Glad it helped 🙂

Please mark the answer as accepted, so it is clear for others the question has been answered 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...