Splunk Search

How to set up a blacklist lookup to run searches against and alert if there are any matching field values?

j666gak
Communicator

Hello,

I needed a blacklist to populate with IPs and URLs, so I created a lookup file called blacklist.csv. the Lookup file had two fields defined called id and uri. I have populate a couple of URLs that I know are in the index holding data from the webproxy in a field extract called url. all I want is to create an alert so when something appears in the the URL field that also appears in the uri field of the blacklist lookup.

I have tried running the search below, but it just returns all logs and not just the URLs from the lookup

index=bloxx |lookup blacklist.csv uri

I would really appreciate any help.

Thank

1 Solution

j666gak
Communicator

I managed to have a copy of the lookup within the app and my user profile, which caused the issue.

View solution in original post

j666gak
Communicator

I managed to have a copy of the lookup within the app and my user profile, which caused the issue.

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Run this instead:

index=bloxx [inputlookup blacklist.csv | fields uri]

That'll create a long OR'd filter from your CSV file and use that to search the data.

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Check the job inspector, it should tell you what the subsearch returned. See if that search string makes sense or not.

0 Karma

j666gak
Communicator

I managed to have a copy of the lookup within the app and my user profile, which caused the issue. Thank you for your help though.

0 Karma

j666gak
Communicator

No, unfortunately not. No it just says there are no result after it has searched through them all. I know there is data it should fire on, it is really frustrating me.

I have checked permission on the index/lookup/role/NTFS, removed and re-added the lookup and lookup definition, can see entries being searched from the lookup file.

Don't know what I am doing or is going wrong?

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

So... it's working fine now?

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Does your data have a uri field extracted? If not, extract that field and you'll be good.

0 Karma

j666gak
Communicator

I changed the field within the lookup file from uri to url, and there is already a field extract within the Bloxx source for url.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Check the job inspector for what's being returned by the subsearch and see if that makes sense for your data. It should look something like this:

((uri="...") OR (uri="...") ...)

Then make sure your data actually has a field called uri with such values.

0 Karma

j666gak
Communicator

Yes I can see that, and they show items from the correct field in the lookup file.

If I run the command within job manually, I have to remove the uri= for it to work, how do I do this automatically?

0 Karma

j666gak
Communicator

Many thanks for the response.

I am trying the command but it is not returning any results, I have confirmed the time period and that URL that has been accessed is in the lookuptable.

I think some kind of wildcard may be needed?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...