Splunk Search

How to set the BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE?

neha22
Explorer

I am not sure of how to set the BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE I have tried the below setting.. all my logs are of log4j format and starts at [2022-04-05 11:18:23,839] format

BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE: date 

My logs are  which are send to splunk through fluentd in as different events:

[2022-04-05 11:18:23,839] WARN Error while loading: connectors-versions.properties (com.amadeus.scp.kafka.connect.utils.Version)
java.lang.NullPointerException
    at java.util.Properties$LineReader.readLine(Properties.java:434)
    at java.util.Properties.load0(Properties.java:353)
    at java.util.Properties.load(Properties.java:341)
    at com.amadeus.scp.kafka.connect.utils.Version.<clinit>(Version.java:47)
    at com.amadeus.scp.kafka.connect.connectors.kafka.source.router.K2KRouterSourceConnector.version(K2KRouterSourceConnector.java:62)
    at org.apache.kafka.connect.runtime.isolation.DelegatingClassLoader.versionFor(DelegatingClassLoader.java:380)
    at org.apache.kafka.connect.runtime.isolation.DelegatingClassLoader.versionFor(DelegatingClassLoader.java:385)
    at org.apache.kafka.connect.runtime.isolation.DelegatingClassLoader.getPluginDesc(DelegatingClassLoader.java:355)
    at org.apache.kafka.connect.runtime.isolation.DelegatingClassLoader.scanPluginPath(DelegatingClassLoader.java:328)
    at org.apache.kafka.connect.runtime.isolation.DelegatingClassLoader.scanUrlsAndAddPlugins(DelegatingClassLoader.java:261)
    at org.apache.kafka.connect.runtime.isolation.DelegatingClassLoader.registerPlugin(DelegatingClassLoader.java:253)
    at org.apache.kafka.connect.runtime.isolation.DelegatingClassLoader.initPluginLoader(DelegatingClassLoader.java:222)
    at org.apache.kafka.connect.runtime.isolation.DelegatingClassLoader.initLoaders(DelegatingClassLoader.java:199)
    at org.apache.kafka.connect.runtime.isolation.Plugins.<init>(Plugins.java:60)
    at org.apache.kafka.connect.cli.ConnectDistributed.startConnect(ConnectDistributed.java:91)
    at org.apache.kafka.connect.cli.ConnectDistributed.main(ConnectDistributed.java:78)
Labels (1)
0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@neha22 - I wouldn't suggest SHOULD_LINEMERGE=true as it is not performance effective. Try the below configuration with LINE_ BREAKER.

Just FYI, this will only apply to new events coming into Splunk, not to existing events.

Put this configuration on forwarders and indexers level.

LINE_BREAKER = ([\n\r]+)\[\d{4}-\d{2}-\d{2}\s+\d{2}:\d{2}:\d{2},\d+\]\s+
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false
TIME_PREFIX = ^[
TIME_FORMAT = %Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S,%3N
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 25

I hope this helps!! Consider upvoting if it does!!!

neha22
Explorer

I am using the HEC method

0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you are using the HEC endpoint (/services/collector/event ) then Parsing (LINE_BREAKING), Merging (SHOULD_LINEMERGE, timestamp extraction) will not work.

Use HEC this HEC endpoint instead - /services/collector/raw 

Reference - https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.5/Data/HECRESTendpoints 

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @neha22,

I'd define the Timestamp format and position and I'd use it for event breaking,something like this:

[your_sourcetype]
TIME_PREFIX = ^\[
TIME_FORMAT = %Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S,%3N
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = True

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

neha22
Explorer

TIME_PREFIX: "^[",
TIME_FORMAT: "([%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S,%3N]+)",

i tried as above but the logs still displayed as different events not a single one.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...