Splunk Search

How to set a backup TCPOUT group in Outputsconf

morethanyell
Builder

Hi,

From my understanding, the param `defaultGroup` under the stanza `[tcpout]` in `outputs.conf` can be set to a comma-separated list based on what's defined in `[tcpout:<groupn>]` stanzas, i.e.:

[tcpout]
defaultGroup = group1, group2, group3, group4

[tcpout:group1] server=10.1.1.197:9997
[tcpout:group2] server=myhost.Splunk.com:9997
[tcpout:group3] server=myhost.Splunk.com:9997,10.1.1.197:6666
[tcpout:group4] server=foo.Splunk.com:9997

Okay. But when we define `outputs.conf` like this, the forwarder will route all traffic to the target servers in all groups defined in that param `defaultGroup`.

How do we define a "backup" group where in the traffic is rerouted to the "next" group in case the default groups aren't reachable?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
At least I haven’t hear or read this kind of feature. Probably you should write this to ideas.splunk.com.

r. Ismo

View solution in original post

morethanyell
Builder

Those aren't indexers. They are intermediate heavyforwarders that represent regions. I.e.

# North America UF Outputsconf

[tcpout]
defaultGroup = NA

[tcpout:EMEA] server = mycompany-emea-hfa:9997, mycompany-emea-hfb:9997
[tcpout:APAC] server = mycompany-apac-hfa:9997, mycompany-apac-hfb:9997
[tcpout:NA] server = mycompany-na-hfa:9997, mycompany-na-hfb:9997
[tcpout:LATAM] server = mycompany-latam-hfa:9997, mycompany-latam-hfb:9997

These intermediate HFs all output to SplunkCloud. I was thinking how I could route traffic to LATAM if say, the servers in NA are down.

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
At least I haven’t hear or read this kind of feature. Probably you should write this to ideas.splunk.com.

r. Ismo

morethanyell
Builder

Thank you. Just did.

EID-I-644

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

Actually there is one way to do this, but it requires that you are using multisite cluster with indexes discovery feature enabled. Then you can just add on your CM: 

splunk edit cluster-config -forwarder_site_failover site1:site2

r. Ismo

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Rather that use multiple groups of one indexer each, use a single group of multiple indexers.  The UF will send to each indexer in turn, skipping those that are not available.

[tcpout]
defaultGroup = group1

[tcpout:group1]
server=10.1.1.197:9997,myhost.Splunk.com:9997,foo.Splunk.com:9997

If your indexers are clustered then consider using Indexer Discovery, which achieves the same effect.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...