Splunk Search

How to separate multiple values from a single Windows event log entry?

brooklynotss
Path Finder

An example of a SINGLE Windows application log event I'm looking at in my environment is:

09/09/2015 09:46:05 AM
LogName=Application
SourceName=Outlook
EventCode=45
EventType=4
Type=Information
ComputerName=PCNAME.stroock.com
TaskCategory=None
OpCode=None
RecordNumber=192048
Keywords=Classic
Message=Outlook loaded the following add-in(s):

Name: Workshare Ribbon Add-In for Microsoft Office
Description: Workshare Ribbon Addin
ProgID: Workshare.Ribbon.Addin.Connect
GUID: {1023B9C0-05A1-4DD5-9BF9-54BA6A4C07E2}
Load Behavior: 03
HKLM: 1
Location: C:\Program Files\Workshare\Modules\Workshare.Ribbon.Addin.Shim.dll
Boot Time (Milliseconds): 1076

Name: Workshare Outlook COM Addin
Description: Workshare Outlook COM Addin
ProgID: Workshare.OutlookAddin.1
GUID: {AE6053BC-57B4-44B6-BB87-DB52074FE54A}
Location: c:\program files\workshare\modules\Workshare.Client.OutlookExtension.dll
Boot Time (Milliseconds): 2683

Name: Workshare Professional Attachment(s) Alert and Compare
Description: 
ProgID: Workshare.Client.OutlookFormUI.AddinMod
GUID: {AB912E26-FAB0-41DF-9424-68A41A214D94}
Boot Time (Milliseconds): 6287

This is written each time users launch Outlook and shows us how long the various add-ins we use take to launch (and slow down the opening of Outlook). I'd like to be able run some statistics on these numbers, so I need to be able to parse out the multiple Names and Boot Time values from each of these... I'd like to get the data to show the following columns:

_time
SourceName
Computername
Name
Description
Boot Time

for all add-ins loaded with each launch of outlook.

Any help much appreciated.

0 Karma
1 Solution

twinspop
Influencer

With the default windows event log sourcetype, it should auto-extract those values into MV fields. Using mvzip, create a single MV field with all the values concatenated within. Then mvexpand on that new field to create 1 event for each combination. Finally, break apart the zipped field and report on the values with stats or similar. Something like this (untested):

... | eval TempMV=mvzip(Name,Description,"|") | eval TempMV=mvzip(TempMV,Boot_Time__Milliseconds_,"|") |
mvexpand TempMV |
rex field=TempMV "(?<AIname>[^\|]+)\|(?<AIdesc>[^\|]+)\|(?<AItime>\d+)" |
table _time SourceName ComputerName AIname AIdesc AItime

EDIT: failed to backslash one of the pipes

View solution in original post

twinspop
Influencer

With the default windows event log sourcetype, it should auto-extract those values into MV fields. Using mvzip, create a single MV field with all the values concatenated within. Then mvexpand on that new field to create 1 event for each combination. Finally, break apart the zipped field and report on the values with stats or similar. Something like this (untested):

... | eval TempMV=mvzip(Name,Description,"|") | eval TempMV=mvzip(TempMV,Boot_Time__Milliseconds_,"|") |
mvexpand TempMV |
rex field=TempMV "(?<AIname>[^\|]+)\|(?<AIdesc>[^\|]+)\|(?<AItime>\d+)" |
table _time SourceName ComputerName AIname AIdesc AItime

EDIT: failed to backslash one of the pipes

brooklynotss
Path Finder

nice! that works great and maybe? seems to be a little simpler than previous answer. thank you very much.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Give this a try

Your base search | table _raw | rex mode=sed "s/([\r\n]+)/ |/g" | extract | table SourceName ComputerName _raw | rex max_match=0 "Name\s*:\s*(?<Temp>([^\|]*\|){7}[^:]+:\s+\d+)" | table SourceName ComputerName Temp | mvexpand Temp | rex field=Temp "(?<Name>[^\|]+)\|\s*Description:(?<Description>[^\|]+)\|([^\|]*\|){5}\s*Boot Time \(Milliseconds\): (?<Boot_Time>\d+)" | fields - Temp
0 Karma

brooklynotss
Path Finder

oustanding! thank you so much.

0 Karma

brooklynotss
Path Finder

Actually I spoke too soon, this excludes the time field? this is more advanced than I'm used to so not sure how to include it in your search...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...