Splunk Search

How to separate data from Security_ID field when capturing local accounts created/added to the local admin group?

papa
Explorer

Hello,

I am trying to test on a single host and this search may be completely wrong and would appreciate any assistance as I am just starting to use Splunk.

I am trying to capture any local accounts created or added to the local Administrators group on one host.

This gets me what I need, which is the Time(when), hostname ,who created but the Security_ID field is lumping all into one .. I need a column with just the Hostname\LocalAccountName or just LocalAccountName

Security_ID is including the SAmAccountname that created the account, the local account name and BUILTIN\Administrators all in one.

This is what I am searching, any help will be appreciated.

MyHostName EventCode=4732 OR EventCode=4720 | table _time, HostName, src_user, Security_ID, EventCode,
Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

marycordova
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

MyHostName EventCode=4732 OR EventCode=4720
| eval group_sid=mvindex('SecurityID',2)
| table _time, HostName, src_user, group_sid, EventCode

@marycordova

View solution in original post

papa
Explorer

Hi Marcy

The example log you posted is the exact that I see , I tested your example below but it made no difference .. is that how I would search ?

MyHostName EventCode=4732 OR EventCode=4720 | table _time, HostName, src_user, Security_ID, EventCode
|eval group_sid=mvindex('SecurityID',2)

0 Karma

marycordova
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

| eval group_sid=mvindex('SecurityID',2)
| table _time, HostName, src_user, group_sid, EventCode

@marycordova

papa
Explorer

that was it , I modified it a bit and got the 

I modified ('SecurityID',2) to ('Security_ID',1)

| eval group_sid=mvindex('Security_ID',1)
| table _time, HostName, src_user,group_sid

marycordova
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Your problem I think, is that SecurityID is a multivalue field.  

For reference: https://www.ultimatewindowssecurity.com/securitylog/encyclopedia/event.aspx?eventid=4732

marycordova_1-1599883111253.png

If you want to extract these into individual fields you would use "mvindex":

|eval subject_sid=mvindex('SecurityID',0)
|eval member_sid=mvindex('SecurityID',1)
|eval group_sid=mvindex('SecurityID',2)

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.5/SearchReference/MultivalueEvalFunctions#mvindex.2...

@marycordova
0 Karma

marycordova
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Can you post a screen cap or sample of your log event?
@marycordova
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...