Splunk Search

How to search with a fixed time span timechart everyday?

zacksoft
Contributor

I am trying to find my average response time of everyday events (not avg of all the events of that day , but the events from 10AM to 1PM) only for last 7 days.

sourcetype="super:access" host=xa20hlf**  | eval headers=split(_raw," ") | eval resp_time=mvindex(headers,10) | eval resptime_time_seconds=resp_time*0.001| timechart span=1d eval(round(avg(resptime_time_seconds),2)) as avgTime
0 Karma
1 Solution

DalJeanis
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try this...

sourcetype="super:access" host=xa20hlf**  
| eval Hour=strftime(_time,"%H")
| where Hour>=10 AND Hour<13
| eval headers=split(_raw," ") 
| eval resp_time=mvindex(headers,10) 
| eval resptime_time_seconds=resp_time*0.001
| timechart span=1d eval(round(avg(resptime_time_seconds),2)) as avgTim

View solution in original post

horsefez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @zacksoft,

how about this:

sourcetype="super:access" host=xa20hlf** earliest=-7d@d latest=now (date_hour=10 OR date_hour=11 OR date_hour=12 OR date_hour=13) | eval headers=split(_raw," ") | eval resp_time=mvindex(headers,10) | eval resptime_time_seconds=resp_time*0.001| timechart span=1d eval(round(avg(resptime_time_seconds),2)) as avgTime

0 Karma

zacksoft
Contributor

I wanna change the latest = now to latest = (a fix time of day/week, that I choose like this wednesday 6pm) . Also can we exclude weekends?
When we give span=1d, what exactly is the duration of 1d in clockwise?

0 Karma

DalJeanis
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try this...

sourcetype="super:access" host=xa20hlf**  
| eval Hour=strftime(_time,"%H")
| where Hour>=10 AND Hour<13
| eval headers=split(_raw," ") 
| eval resp_time=mvindex(headers,10) 
| eval resptime_time_seconds=resp_time*0.001
| timechart span=1d eval(round(avg(resptime_time_seconds),2)) as avgTim

twinspop
Influencer

Dal: In my admittedly limited testing, I found it ~ 8% faster to filter on hour after the timechart. Trim the first eval and the first where, and after timechart add: | where tonumber(strftime(_time,"%H"))>=10 and tonumber(strftime(_time,"%H"))<13. My test was a simple count on _internal.

DalJeanis
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@twinspop - you can't filter on hour after the timechart aggregates to span=1d ... so it would not work unless you change the timechart to span=1h and then run it again through timechart to aggregate it up to the day level... and then you are averaging the averages rather than the actual events. If you have an idea that you think will work, please go ahead and write it up as an answer. The more, the merrier!

twinspop
Influencer

Shoot man, you're totally right. My bad.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...