Splunk Search

How to search user concurrent logins on unique hosts?

jayygee3
Engager

I'm hoping to get some help or direction. I have seen a few different forum posts where the search pulled how many concurrent sessions were happening at a time. (General count of sessions occurring at a given time) I somewhat get that done with this search:

index=main EventCode=4624 
| eval Account=mvindex(Account_Name,1)
| eventstats dc(host) AS Logins by Account
| where Logins > 1
| timechart count(Logins) BY Account

I am hoping to pivot into a search with more detail such as Account login session duration and any overlap in sessions from unique hosts. The goal is to pinpoint potentially shared credentials for further investigation. I have played with transaction a bit, but can't seem to get it to work the way I need and have read many posts advising against this command due to resource usage.  Any tips for a Splunk Newb?

Labels (4)
0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Session 'duration' is a fun one, as you need to be able to determine what constitutes the 'end' of the session.

The advice round 'transaction' is good - avoid where possible, it's rarely necessary and almost never the solution for looking for long lived things.

streamstats and stats are generally what you can use. 

Here's a recent post on doing something similar, which gives examples of how you can build things

https://community.splunk.com/t5/Splunk-Search/How-to-calculate-session-times-from-large-data-set/m-p...

jayygee3
Engager

@bowesmana thanks! I read through the thread and I think I am starting to get a better idea of how to approach my situation. Appreciate the quick response!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...