Splunk Search

How to search multiple values using wildcard in a field?

nbhat
Explorer

I am producing some stats in splunk but I want to extract data for about 10 uri_method instead of 100s currently displayed in the table. The last line is where I am getting stuck. I want to be able to search uri_method for multiple values with wildcard. 

i.e. the following should be returned 

www.example.com/v2/customers/* (HEAD)

example.co.uk/v1/orders/* (HEAD)

www.example.com/xy/customers/* (GET)

www.abc.com/v3/customers (GET)

www.GetOrder.com/v2/orders/* (GET)

www.ListOrders.com/v2/orders (GET)

www.ListAddresses.com/xy/customers/*/addresses (GET)

BUT NOT:

www.example.com/xy/customers/*/details (GET)

www.GetOrder.com/v2/orders/*/shipping/* (GET)

www.GetOrder.com/v2/orders/*/returns/* (GET)

If I remove the where clause(last line), I get 100s of results. I want to list only some items(uri_method) that end with "customers/* (HEAD)", "orders/* (HEAD)", "customers/* (GET)", "customers (GET)", "orders (GET)","orders/* (GET)", "addresses (GET)" etc.

If I use Where clause with field name "IN", the wildcard * is not considered. If I use LIKE, I'm not sure how to add multiple values to where clause. Please help.

index=main env=test ("*Method=GET*" OR "*Method=HEAD*") "StatusCode=200"
| rex field=log "ResponseTime=(?<ResponseTime>\d+)"
| rex field=log "StatusCode=(?<StatusCode>\d+)"
| rex field=log "\"?Method\"?\=(?<Method>[^,]*)"
| rex field=log "Uri=(?<uri>[^\,?]+)"
| rex field=uri "uri=(?<uri>[?].*)"
| eval uri = urldecode(uri)
| eval uri = replace(uri, "/[0-9a-f]{8}-[0-9a-f]{4}-[0-9a-f]{4}-[0-9a-f]{4}-[0-9a-f]{12}","/*")
| eval uri = replace(uri, "(\/[0-9]+)", "/*")
| eval uri_method = uri + " (" + Method + ")"
| stats perc95(ResponseTime) as response, count as request_rate by uri_method, StatusCode
| eval score = toNumber(response) * toNumber(request_rate)
| sort -score
| table uri_method,StatusCode,response,request_rate ,score
| where uri_method IN ("*customers/* (HEAD)","*orders/* (HEAD)",  "*users/* (HEAD)", "*customers/* (GET)", "*customers (GET)", "*orders (GET)","*orders/* (GET)", "*addresses (GET)")

Labels (5)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@nbhat - You can use the search command as well, which is what you are currently using syntax for. 

| search uri_method IN ("*customers/* (HEAD)","*orders/* (HEAD)",  "*users/* (HEAD)", "*customers/* (GET)", "*customers (GET)", "*orders (GET)","*orders/* (GET)", "*addresses (GET)")

I hope this helps!!!

View solution in original post

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@nbhat - You can use the search command as well, which is what you are currently using syntax for. 

| search uri_method IN ("*customers/* (HEAD)","*orders/* (HEAD)",  "*users/* (HEAD)", "*customers/* (GET)", "*customers (GET)", "*orders (GET)","*orders/* (GET)", "*addresses (GET)")

I hope this helps!!!

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@VatsalJagani This doesn't eliminate the last 3 as they still match against "customer/* (GET)" or "orders/* (GET)" when search is used

0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Ohh I see that makes sense!! It took me 2 min to understand this because I missed that part from the question. @ITWhisperer 🙌🙏🙌

Thanks!!

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| where match(uri_method ,"\/customers/\* \(HEAD\)") OR match(uri_method ,"\/orders\/\* \(HEAD\)") OR match(uri_method ,"\/users\/\* \(HEAD\)") OR match(uri_method ,"\/customers\/\* \(GET\)") OR match(uri_method ,"\/customers \(GET\)") OR match(uri_method ,"\/orders \(GET\)") OR match(uri_method ,"\/orders\/\* \(GET\)") OR match(uri_method ,"\/addresses \(GET\)")
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...