Splunk Search

How to search for three different actions: Browse, View, and Download?

splunkman341
Communicator

Hi guys,

First off I'd like to apologize for the lopsided question as I am kinda unsure of what I was asked to do! Alright, so Im going to post some logs and I need help from you guys to pull out some info from them. I need to pull out the bold text for all three logs, and was wondering if it was possible to put all of it into one search.

I am trying to get EmployeeDocumentsServicesImp.getDocument() also with the Elapsed time.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This should work:

<search that finds all 3 logs> | rex "(?P<service>EmployeeDocumentServicesImp[l]?\.getDocument(?:PDF)?)\(.* Elapsed time:\s+-\s\[(?P<elapsedTime>[\d\.]+)\]" | table service elapsedTime
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This should work:

<search that finds all 3 logs> | rex "(?P<service>EmployeeDocumentServicesImp[l]?\.getDocument(?:PDF)?)\(.* Elapsed time:\s+-\s\[(?P<elapsedTime>[\d\.]+)\]" | table service elapsedTime
---

splunkman341
Communicator

Hi Rich and thanks for your anwser. I tried to execute that search and got back an error message. The message is as follows:

Error in 'search' command: Unable to parse the search: Comparator '<' has an invalid term on the left hand side.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The first part of the search is a placeholder. Since only you know how your data is stored, you need to fill in the <search that finds...> part.

---
0 Karma

splunkman341
Communicator

So I tried to do as you said and this is my search :

index=Doccloud_main sourcetype="doccloud-dit_sb" | rex "(?P&lt;service&gt;EmployeeDocumentServicesImp[l]?\.getDocument(?:PDF)?)\(.* Elapsed time:\s+-\s\[(?P&lt;elapsedTime&gt;[\d\.]+)\]" | table service elapsedTime

It works, but it only disp;lays getDocument and getDocument PDF in a weird format. I was wondering if i could convert this data to display into a graph as I wanted to include it into the dashboard. I also want to include a search for EmployeeDocumentServceImp.listDocuments().

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

To get a graph, replace the table command with chart avg(elapsedTime) by service or timechart values(elapsedTime) by service.
To add the new service, change the rex string to "(?P&lt;service&gt;EmployeeDocumentServicesImp[l]?\.getDocument(?:PDF)?|EmployeeDocumentServicesImp\.listDocuments)\(.* Elapsed time:\s+-\s\[(?P&lt;elapsedTime&gt;[\d\.]+)\]".

---
0 Karma

splunkman341
Communicator

So I tried entering in the same which you just told me about, and got the same results as before. The results in a table going from 1-53 and not displaying anything after that. The search is :

index=doccloud_main sourcetype="doccloud-dit_sb" | rex "(?P&lt;service&gt;EmployeeDocumentServicesImp[l]?\.getDocument(?:PDF)?|EmployeeDocumentServicesImp\.listDocuments)\(.* Elapsed time:\s+-\s\[(?P&lt;elapsedTime&gt;[\d\.]+)\]"| chart avg(elapsedTime) by service
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Have you clicked the Visualizations tab?

---
0 Karma

splunkman341
Communicator

So it is displaying getDocument and getDocument PDF, but it is not listing listDocuments. Here is the code:

index=doccloud_main sourcetype="doccloud-dit_sb" | rex "(?P&lt;service&gt;EmployeeDocumentServicesImp[l]?\.getDocument(?:PDF)?|EmployeeDocumentServicesImp\.listDocuments)\(.* Elapsed time:\s+-\s\[(?P&lt;elapsedTime&gt;[\d\.]+)\]" | timechart values(elapsedTime) by service
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Carefully compare the service names in your data with the names in the regex. Perhaps you need to change Imp\.listDocuments to Imp[l]?\.listDocuments.

---

splunkman341
Communicator

Yup! That was the last leg! Thanks alot

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You're welcome. Please accept the answer.

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...