Splunk Search

How to search for the first record for each group of data for a field?

mohitab
Path Finder

Data:
I have CSV data indexed containing sensory information. The structure is timestamp, Flight_ID, lon, lat, alt.

When I run query to find records against a particular Flight_ID, eg search Flight_ID="KLM281" , I get a set of records. The records represent flight information for more than one instance of the flight, i.e., it contains data of the flights on different days, eg one instance can be a flight from A to B on 8:12 AM to 9:45 AM on 12/09/2014 and other instance can be on 8:10 AM to 9:40 AM on 02/11/2014. The consecutive records corresponding to one instance are temporally near to each other (1-5 mins gap between consecutive records) but separated by next/previous instance by substantial amount of time(few hours or days).

The objective it to find first record for each instance. I am trying to workout a query and explored cluster & kmeans but could not figure this out. I tried Flight_ID="AAL287" | table _time alt | kmeans _time but kmeans seldom gives out expected clusters. Any suggestions? Any different approach other than clustering?

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

MuS
Legend

Hi mohitab,

did you try

... | stats first(_time) by Flight_ID

Alternative to cluster you could try the transaction command.

cheers, MuS

View solution in original post

MuS
Legend

Hi mohitab,

did you try

... | stats first(_time) by Flight_ID

Alternative to cluster you could try the transaction command.

cheers, MuS

mohitab
Path Finder

I tried transaction as : search Flight_ID="KLM281" | transaction maxpause=5m | table _time eventcount.

This got me the all the instances of the Flight. Thanks for the suggestions @MuS.

MuS
Legend

you're welcome 😉 please mark this as answered - thx

0 Karma

mohitab
Path Finder
 Flight_ID="AAL285" | table _time altitude Flight_ID| stats first(_time) by Flight_ID

This gave me earliest record for the Flight_ID. But that is not my objective. I want the first record for each cluster/group of flight data for Flight_ID="AAL285".

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

well, you did not build any of your needed clusters you just used a table. Build your clusters/groups first and use stats on them

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...