Splunk Search

How to search for a user and then be able to see the computer he/she is logging into?

whitt

How would i search for a user and then be able to see the computer he/she is logging into?

Tags (3)
0 Karma

DalJeanis
Legend

First, do this ...

index=wineventlog ("4624" OR "4648") | head 3

Look at the returned events and find the names of the fields for EventID, Account_Name, host

Then do something like this (modify field names as needed) ...

index=wineventlog (EventID=528 OR EventID=540 OR EventID=552 OR EventID=4624 OR EventID=4648) 
Account_Name="userid"

Check the interesting fields and verify if the host has been extracted correctly.

Because I am in a massively heterogeneous environment, dealing with unix and windows OSs going back quite a few versions, my search time extraction of those fields and a couple of others is actually about 35 lines long. Hopefully, you only have to deal with a couple of versions of windows, and the 3-digit EventIDs are not even relevant to you.

0 Karma

whitt

index= wineventlog

0 Karma

rphillips_splk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

@whitt do you know what index the events live in and if the event contains the information you are looking for all in one event? Providing a sample event would be a good place to start so we can help you construct the search.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...