Splunk Search

How to search buckets to find one index of many, and limit how many to unfreeze?

stevenshea

After searching the answered questions, I do not see my question addressed.

If I have several indexes that are frozen to buckets, is there a way to search the buckets for an index without unfreezing the bucket?

I'm trying to limit the number of buckets that I need to unfreeze.

Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I think we have a slight terminology problem. Indexes store data in buckets. Buckets are a subset of an index, therefore, one does not search buckets for an index.

There is no way to search a frozen bucket. You must thaw it first.

While a bucket is part of an index, there is nothing in the bucket itself that identifies the index to which it belongs. That means frozen buckets must be managed in such a way as to know from whence they came. For example, put all of the index=foo buckets in a "foo" directory in your repository. Resist the temptation to dump all frozen Splunk buckets into the same S3 bucket. Otherwise, you'll have to thaw a LOT of buckets to find the one from the desired index.

Once you know the index you need thawed, you need to determine the time frame of the data you want thawed. Buckets are named with Linux epoch timestamps in the form __. Convert the earliest and latest dates of the data you want thawed into epoch form (See https://www.epochconverter.com/) then check the bucket names to find the one(s) that hold data for those dates.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I think we have a slight terminology problem. Indexes store data in buckets. Buckets are a subset of an index, therefore, one does not search buckets for an index.

There is no way to search a frozen bucket. You must thaw it first.

While a bucket is part of an index, there is nothing in the bucket itself that identifies the index to which it belongs. That means frozen buckets must be managed in such a way as to know from whence they came. For example, put all of the index=foo buckets in a "foo" directory in your repository. Resist the temptation to dump all frozen Splunk buckets into the same S3 bucket. Otherwise, you'll have to thaw a LOT of buckets to find the one from the desired index.

Once you know the index you need thawed, you need to determine the time frame of the data you want thawed. Buckets are named with Linux epoch timestamps in the form __. Convert the earliest and latest dates of the data you want thawed into epoch form (See https://www.epochconverter.com/) then check the bucket names to find the one(s) that hold data for those dates.

---
0 Karma

stevenshea

Newbie here... thanks for the terminology correction. I did not design the way the frozen buckets were handled but you answered my question. We do not know what buckets are from what index so we have to thaw a lot of buckets.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'm sorry to hear that. Start by narrowing down the time range so you can cut the number of buckets you need to thaw.

If your original question is answered then please accept the answer to help future readers.

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...