Splunk Search

How to search ColumnA in a lookup and output the corresponding values from ColumnB?

rikufu

Hey all,

I created a lookup with two columns:

Username,IP
test1,192.168.0.1
test2,192.168.0.2

I'm trying to do a search for the first column "Username".
And if I have results, I want it to display the IP of the username in table.

I will be happy if you help me with this.

Tags (2)
0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Give this a try

sourcetype=Serv [ inputlookup Complist | fields "Username" ]  | lookup Complist Username OUTPUT IP | rename Username AS UserReq , Message.Request.MessageBody AS Messagebody | table Username Messagebody Time IP
0 Karma

javiergn
Super Champion

If you are just trying to search across that lookup table then the following should work:

| inputlookup yourlookupname
| search Username = whatever
| table IP

If you are trying to pipe a search through your lookup in order to apply some filtering, then it would be something like:

yoursearch
| lookup yourlookupname Username AS UsernameFieldInYourEvent OUTPUT IP AS IPNameInYourEvent
| table IPNameInYourEvent
0 Karma

rikufu

Thanks for help,
Still I cant getting this to work,
This is my full search:

sourcetype=Serv [ inputlookup Complist | fields "Username" ] | rename Username AS UserReq , Message.Request.MessageBody AS Messagebody | table Username Messagebody Time

The problem is that in the lookup "Complist" I have column "IP"
When I add "IP" to table nothing happened.

0 Karma

javiergn
Super Champion

Couple of things, you are renaming Username but then your table is not including it. Also the time field is wrong.

sourcetype=Serv [ inputlookup Complist | fields "Username" ] | rename Username AS UserReq , Message.Request.MessageBody AS Messagebody | table UserReq Messagebody _time

Also, this:

sourcetype=Serv [ inputlookup Complist | fields "Username" ]

Is being translated as:

sourcetype=Serv (Username=Value1 OR Username=Value2 OR Username=Value3)  ...

Alternatively, if what you are trying to do is to return the IP for those Usernames, then you can't do an inputlookup, you have to do an actual lookup:

sourcetype=Serv 
|lookup Complist Username AS Username OUTPUT IP AS ipaddr
| rename Username AS UserReq , Message.Request.MessageBody AS Messagebody 
| table _time, UserReq, Messagebody, ipaddr

Let me know if that works. If not, can you post an example of your lookup?
Keep in mind field names are case sensitive

Thanks,
J

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...