Splunk Search

How to run an index to generate events through an input lookup table?

charlottecl
Engager

Hi all, 

I wish to generate login times for a list of users which are specified in a lookup table titled user_list.csv. The column header of the list of users in this list is called "IDENTITY".

Currently, I have an index that on its own without inserting the lookup table, already has a field called "Identity". This index itself gives me any users' login times within the specified timeframe as long as I specify Identity="*". Without specifying Identity="*" or any other user's names, the events will not populate.

What I am trying to do is to input a specified list of users and be able to check their login times. However when I use the following search query, I end up getting 0 events:

index=logintime 

[|inputlookup user_list.csv

|fields IDENTITY

|format]

IDENTITY="*"

| table _time, eventType, ComputerName, IDENTITY

I have already checked that the lookup table is within the same app. Please help, thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Field names are case-sensitive.  The 'IDENTITY="*"' line is not needed because the subsearch will produce a list of IDENTITY values to locate.

index=logintime [|inputlookup user_list.csv
  | rename IDENTITY as Identity
  | fields Identity
  | format ]
| table _time, eventType, ComputerName, Identity

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Field names are case-sensitive.  The 'IDENTITY="*"' line is not needed because the subsearch will produce a list of IDENTITY values to locate.

index=logintime [|inputlookup user_list.csv
  | rename IDENTITY as Identity
  | fields Identity
  | format ]
| table _time, eventType, ComputerName, Identity

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

charlottecl
Engager

Thanks a lot! I tried this and it works. Turns out that I have to rename first before adding it as a field.

Tags (1)
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...