Splunk Search

How to return count of certain text using Splunk regular expression?

ABHAYA
Path Finder

I have an input string  which contains strings like code =test1  description=test1 description status = pending,code =test2  description=test2 description status = COMPLTED, code =test3  description=test3 description status = COMPLETED_FIRST,code =test2  description=test2 description status = COMPLTED,

Expected Ouput 

Code   count 

test2     2

test3      1

Basically i  am looking for whose status is completed or starts with completed word  those code name and completion count in the result. Can anyone please help me on this.

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @ABHAYA,

if you have all the fields in the same event, you have to divide it using something like this:

| makeresults 
| eval _raw="code =test1  description=test1 description status = pending,code =test2  description=test2 description status = COMPLTED, code =test3  description=test3 description status = COMPLETED_FIRST,code =test2  description=test2 description status = COMPLTE."
| rex max_match=0 "(?<event>[^,\.]+)"
| mvexpand event
| rex field=event "code\s*\=\s*(?<code>\w*)"
| rex field=event "status\s*\=\s*(?<status>\w*)"
| stats count BY code status

when you arrive at the last raw, you can aggregate as you like.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @ABHAYA.,

if you want to know only the codes where the status is "COMPLETED", you could run:

index=your_index status=COMPLETED
| stats count BY Code

if you want also add all the information about status, you could run:

index=your_index
| stats count BY Code status

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

ABHAYA
Path Finder

code =test1  description=test1 description status = pending,code =test2  description=test2 description status = COMPLTED, code =test3  description=test3 description status = COMPLETED_FIRST,code =test2  description=test2 description status = COMPLTE. This  input is a single string. I do not have  data in table format.I tried with the solution provided by you .it is not working

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Luckily each test segment is delimited by comma.  You can use that to break the raw input into individual events, like this:

| eval data = split(_raw, ",")
| mvexpand data
| rename data AS _raw
| extract

Ultimately, though, your developer should consider breaking the events in raw logs.

Below is data emulation you can play with and compare with your real data.

| makeresults
| eval _raw = "code =test1  description=test1 description status = pending,code =test2  description=test2 description status = COMPLTED, code =test3  description=test3 description status = COMPLETED_FIRST,code =test2  description=test2 description status = COMPLTE."
``` data emulation above ```

Tags (2)
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| rex max_match=0 "code\s*=\s*(?<code>\S+)"
| stats count by code

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @ABHAYA,

if you have all the fields in the same event, you have to divide it using something like this:

| makeresults 
| eval _raw="code =test1  description=test1 description status = pending,code =test2  description=test2 description status = COMPLTED, code =test3  description=test3 description status = COMPLETED_FIRST,code =test2  description=test2 description status = COMPLTE."
| rex max_match=0 "(?<event>[^,\.]+)"
| mvexpand event
| rex field=event "code\s*\=\s*(?<code>\w*)"
| rex field=event "status\s*\=\s*(?<status>\w*)"
| stats count BY code status

when you arrive at the last raw, you can aggregate as you like.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...