Splunk Search

How to reset an accum command

billyp5
Engager

I am looking to create a timechart. I have a base search that adds or subtracts "1" when certain events occur:

eval x=if(match(field_1,"xxx"),1,-1)

Then I accumulate them with:

| accum x AS total_x |

The problem is that there is another type of event "event_y". When this type of event occurs, I need to reset "total_x" to 0 and have it start accumulating again. I've been trying:

eval reset=if(match(field_2,"event_y"),total_x=0,total_x)

And then using that to create a timechart

Any suggestions as to how I can make the accum reset?

Tags (2)

adityapavan18
Contributor

Its took me a while to come up with this. Please see if something like this helps

<pre search>  | eval x = if(match(field_1,"XXX"),1,if(match(field_1,"YYY"),0,-1))  | accum x AS total_x | table _time,field_1,x,total_x | eval y = if(x=0,total_x,NULL)  |filldown y | fillnull value=0 y | delta y as z | eval z = if(z=0,NULL,z) | eval w = coalesce(z,x) | eval w = if(x=0,0-w,w)| accum w as total_w

Here total_w column would be your requested re-setted accum count.

where XXX is where the we assume 1 is added and YYY is event where after the reset is required

0 Karma

TaylorWhitt
Explorer

I don't know much about Splunk or how to write commands, but if your event_y fires, couldn't you multiply total_x by 0?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...