Splunk Search

How to replace a subsearch ?

xarquin

Hi,
I am trying to count the number of users who receive a mail and do a particular action later sort by the date of the email sent. It is more precisely to mesure the impact of an ad-campaign.

I am currently using a subsearch which give me good results :

name=install_X_success AND [search type=ask_to_install_ad | table user_id]

the subsearch gives me all user_id who received emails, and I look for those who match with the event called install_X_success.
This give me good results for a short period of two days but I want to extend it to period of several months...
The limite is double : the limite of the subsearch in number and amount of time it takes..
And I cannot sort my result by the date of the sent mail.

How can I do to deal with this request ?

Tags (2)
0 Karma

xarquin

Hi, thanks for the quick answer,

I cannot perform this search because the event which include name=install_X_success do not include a type. Only a second event called name=email_sent include different types with one of them is type=ask_to_download.

Well, my real purpose is to sort by the date of email sent, so the whole search is this one and the subsearch seemed to me a good choice ->

type=ask_to_download_ad AND [search name=install_X_success AND user_id | table user_id ] | bucket _time span=1d | stats count by _time

with its limit.....

If you have a second answer it could resolve a week issue 🙂 !

Thanks

0 Karma

Drainy
Champion

why subsearch at all?

Why not just do a search as such;

name=install_X_success type=ask_to_install_ad | table user_id

the AND is implicit in both being defined in the search string.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...