Splunk Search

How to rename a wildcard search result?

sheltomt1
Explorer

So let's start with what I have. What's getting me good data:

sourcetype=xfer AND (XferStatus="*Beginning*") OR (XferStatus="*completed*")

I've already done a field extraction and called it XferStatus. Basically what it's doing is looking in my Transfer log for a key phrase of "http - 80". I'm then evaluating it to pull just the transfer starts or endings.

What I need to do is end up with a line chart that shows the rise and fall of Beginnings vs Completions over a 4 hour window.

Where I'm stuck is that I can't figure out a way to have it count Beginnings and Completions, because they are both searches on the XferStatus field. I'm happy not renaming them if I can get a timechart built off a search, but I can't seem to get that right either.

Help, please!

0 Karma
1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try this:

| timechart count(eval(searchmatch("XferStatus=*Beginning*"))) as beginnings count(eval(searchmatch("XferStatus=*completed*"))) as completions

View solution in original post

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try this:

| timechart count(eval(searchmatch("XferStatus=*Beginning*"))) as beginnings count(eval(searchmatch("XferStatus=*completed*"))) as completions

sheltomt1
Explorer

Ahhhh, there we go! I was trying the wrong evals. I scanned the searchmatch eval, but never considered throwing a count in front.

Thank you so much!

0 Karma

sheltomt1
Explorer

I tried something very similar

Yours came up with very similar error:
Error in 'timechart' command: The eval expression for dynamic field 'searchmatch(XferStatus="Beginning")' is invalid. Error='The arguments to the 'searchmatch' function are invalid.'

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Right - the quotes were off, I've fixed them.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...