Splunk Search

How to remove some words from multivalued field for display

manjushan
Explorer

I have a field with search terms in the log that I want to break into individual words. But I do not want stop words (like A, AN, THE) etc to show up in the result.

eg: my log file has

searchTerm=lost+cat
searchTerm=lost+a+cat

searchTerm=lost+the_dog

And I want to get a list of all the words ever used in the searchTerm field.
lost
cat
dog

But I do not want "a" , "an", "the" to appear in the list.

I use makemv delim=" "

searchTerm | eval n = urldecode(searchTerm) | makemv delim=" " setsv=true n| top limit=10000 n

But I get all the words including "a", "the" etc. How do I get to NOT display these stop words.

0 Karma
1 Solution

lguinn2
Legend

You could add in a where command before | top limit=10000 n

Like this

| where lower(n)!="a" AND lower(n)!="an" AND lower(n)!="the" | top limit=10000 n

If there are many words to eliminate, then you might want to use lookups instead.

View solution in original post

lguinn2
Legend

You could add in a where command before | top limit=10000 n

Like this

| where lower(n)!="a" AND lower(n)!="an" AND lower(n)!="the" | top limit=10000 n

If there are many words to eliminate, then you might want to use lookups instead.

manjushan
Explorer

Thank You , It worked !

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...