Splunk Search

How to query alerts by a specific personal domains?

brc55
Explorer

Hello,

I'm trying to put a query together to monitor/view emails being sent externally to a personal domain. 

i.e. johnsmith@corporation.com  to john@smith.com  or johnsmith@personalbusiness.com 

I'm not looking for external personal email addresses like johnsmith@gmail  or hotmail.com, etc. Specifically domains that have some correlation to the users name that appear to be a personal domain. 

index=***this is a corp. email index*** (from_domain="corp.com" AND rcpt_domain="??????")

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Labels (2)
Tags (3)
0 Karma

putnamblake
Path Finder

If the values you provided are fields or sources in your Splunk instance, and data for all outbound email domains is rolling into "rcpt_domain" why not exclude the known personal email domains you mentioned.

EX: index=Your_email_index from_domain=corp.com rcpt_domain NOT ("*gmail.com" OR "*hotmail.com" OR "*yahoo.com" OR "*aol.com") AND rcpt_domain=*

| rename from_domain as "Received From" , rcpt_domain as "Sent To Personal Domain"
|stats count by "Received From","Sent To Personal Domain"

0 Karma

brc55
Explorer

Thanks @putnamblake but unfortunately, that's not working. I think there may need to be some regex involved to help identify/match the from (corporate) email addresses to the personal domains.

0 Karma

putnamblake
Path Finder

Can you post a sample of the logs please?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...