Splunk Search

How to prevent | stats count in a macro from triggering a remote search?

chris
Motivator

Using | stats count is often useful to do a quick test

| stats count | some search where you do not need event data

I wanted to use that mechanism/pattern in a macro that does modifications to a lookup. The macro is called/used by a workflow action

[test]
definition = | stats count | do stuff with a lookup
iseval = 0

Calling the macro triggers a remote search and takes much longer than doing the same directly in the search field in the default search view.
Is there a way around this? Is this the wrong aproach?
I could embed the search directly in the work flow action but I would like to pass on the name of the lookup that should get modified.

Update 09.09.2014

Thanks for you suggestions MuS & martin_mueller, they did not work for me at least not the way i tried them:

If I add splunk_server=local to the beginning of the macro a remote search is still triggered:
alt text

If I try with inputlookup as the first command of the macro I get an error:
alt text

If I just enter a | stats count in the search field the job inspector shows the following:
alt text

Tags (4)
1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Ah. Yeah, that's normal.

| `some macro`

With the macro not containing the pipe at the beginning.

View solution in original post

mikebd
Path Finder

| localop | stats count -> remoteSearch = None

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Ah. Yeah, that's normal.

| `some macro`

With the macro not containing the pipe at the beginning.

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Without the explicit pipe at the beginning the implicit search command gets added before macro replacement, effectively making the search * | stats count. Hence you're counting ALL the events, taking a long time.

That's what's happening, but don't ask me why...

alt text

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Now to compare, you run this:

`pipe`

expecting the search to do the same after macro replacement. However, that's not the case when looking at the search inspector:

search: search `pipe`
normalizedSearch: litsearch | addinfo type=count label=prereport_events | fields keepcolorder=t "prestats_reserved_*" "psrsvd_*" | prestats count
remoteSearch: litsearch | addinfo type=count label=prereport_events | fields keepcolorder=t "prestats_reserved_*" "psrsvd_*" | prestats count

Here, Splunk's telling its search peers "Run a search with no filters and count"... EEEEEEP!

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Technically not "why", but I can explain further. Say you have two macros like this:

[pipe]
definition = | stats count
iseval = 0
[nopipe]
definition = stats count
iseval = 0

When you run this search

| `nopipe`

and look at the search inspector you see these:

search:           | `nopipe`
normalizedSearch: prestats count
remoteSearch:     prestats count

In other words, Splunk tells its search peers "do nothing, and tell me how many events you found" - yielding a zero very quickly. The explicit pipe at the beginning suppresses the implicit search.

chris
Motivator

Do you know why?

0 Karma

chris
Motivator

Thanks for the suggestion, the problem remains the same though. I am fine running this manually from search form but as soon as the command is packed into a macro a search is triggered. I think macros should either do a proper search or not be the first part of a search ... -> If I take the first pipe out of the macro I'm fine: | macro -> and the macro contains "inputlookup append=t somename" or "stats count"

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

can you try either

| inputlookup append=t

or

| lookup local=true
0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Depending on what stuff you want to do with a lookup you may use inputlookup instead.

MuS
Legend

How about :

splunk_server=local | stats count | foo boo
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...