Splunk Search

How to prevent DNS resolution?

willspk
Engager

Hey all,

Our raw syslogs are showing IP addresses of sourced events, but the results in Splunk is changing the IP addresses to their respective hostnames/FQDNs.

If I want to see the results without the name resolution how can I do this? I just need to see the IP addresses, as per the actual raw syslog.

Thanks,

Will

Labels (1)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What do you mean by "the results in Splunk is changing the IP addresses to their respective hostnames/FQDNs"? Where?

Most probably you mistake the metadata field associated with an event with data contained in the event.

0 Karma

willspk
Engager

Yea, what we're using for Syslog collection is doing the name resolution. Not Splunk. I swear I deleted this as soon as I realised my mistake!

Thanks for the input nonetheless. 

0 Karma

PaulPanther
Builder

Hi, I guess you're receiving syslog data directly on a data collection node like a heavy forwarder if yes you could configure following parameter in your inputs.conf 

connection_host = [ip|dns|none]
* How the network input sets the host field for the events it generates.
* A value of "ip" sets the host to the IP address of the system sending the data.
* A value of "dns" sets the host to the reverse DNS entry for the IP address of
  the system that sends the data. For this to work correctly, set the forward
  DNS lookup to match the reverse DNS lookup in your DNS configuration.
* A value of "none" leaves the host as specified in inputs.conf, typically the
  hostname of the system running Splunk software.
* Default: dns

inputs.conf - Splunk Documentation

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...