Splunk Search

How to perform stats count on all three indexes, and combine them to show as a Timechart?

kapilbk1996
Explorer

I have log file say A,B,C and their corresponding index is say index_A,index_B,index_C.
I want to perform stats count on all three indexes, and combine them to show as Timechart. I used the following query.

index="index_A"
"[ERROR]" | timechart count as
temp1 | appendcols [search index
= "index_B" | timechart count as temp2 ] |
appendcols [search index =
"index_C" | timechart
count as temp3]

alt text

This query is giving me correct result. The TImechart is shown above.
The issue is when I click on the Timechart to get the corresponding events for corresponding index, it always shows me the events of index_A only (even if I choose index_B or index_C).
This is because I had mentioned index_A at the starting of search query.

What changes do I need to make so that if I click on index other then index_A, I'll get the corresponding events?

0 Karma
1 Solution

niketn
Legend

@kapilbk1996, While using subsearches default drilldown will be limited to your main search. Following are your couple of options.

Option 1: Keep a single base search for various indexes:

(index="index_A" AND "[ERROR]") OR (index="index_B") OR (index="index_C") 
| timechart count by index 
| rename index_A as temp1 
| rename index_B as temp2 
| rename index_C as temp3

Option 2: Create your own drilldown using predefined drilldown tokens: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Viz/DrilldownIntro

View solution in original post

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@kapilbk1996, While using subsearches default drilldown will be limited to your main search. Following are your couple of options.

Option 1: Keep a single base search for various indexes:

(index="index_A" AND "[ERROR]") OR (index="index_B") OR (index="index_C") 
| timechart count by index 
| rename index_A as temp1 
| rename index_B as temp2 
| rename index_C as temp3

Option 2: Create your own drilldown using predefined drilldown tokens: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Viz/DrilldownIntro

kapilbk1996
Explorer

@ niketnilay thank you for quick response.
option 1 solved my issue.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...