Splunk Search

How to pass the time of an event to drill down

Kozanic
Path Finder

I'm trying to set up a drill down report that will list the events of a transaction, but having issue getting the date to pass through correctly.

This is the code of the original report (edited to reflect assistance provided so far):

<row>
    <panel>
      <title>Last 7 Days Activities</title>
      <table>
        <title>Earliest: $e$ - Latest: $l$</title>
        <search ref="BluePrint Publish History - last 7 days">
          <earliest>-7d@h</earliest>
          <latest>now</latest>
        </search>
        <drilldown>
          <eval token = "e">strptime($row.Startdate$,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S.%3N")</eval>
          <eval token = "l">$e$+1200)</eval>          
          <link target="My New Window">
              <![CDATA[/app/cherwell_ops/blueprint_drilldown?form.blueprint=$row.BlueprintName$&form.earliest=$e$&form.latest=$l$]]>
          </link>
        </drilldown>
      </table>
    </panel>
  </row>

After adding in the tokens to the report, I can see that I'm still having issues with latest time not generating:
alt text

Not sure why this second token is not populating. Have already tried using

<eval token = "l">strptime($row.Startdate$,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S.%3N")+1200</eval>

but this gives the same result.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

EDIT:
I have managed to get this working, but needed to modify my original report to include _time (formatted as epoch time) as a column - I'm then able to pass that time through to the drill down.

Not sure why I have needed to go to this extreme, every other attempt failed in that it would either not pass through - or even when I could get it to pass though - was not providing the correct date / time details.

0 Karma

DalJeanis
Legend

You probably want "latest" rather than "lastest".

0 Karma

Kozanic
Path Finder

Thanks for that - while a valid pickup in terms of pass through, which I think has resolved part of my issues with the pass-through URL, it's not helping my tokens generating correctly.

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@Kozanic, before coding the drilldown, you should always print to evaluate whether the tokens being passed to drilldown are being set properly or not. For table drilldown the predefined token $row.<fieldname>$should be used. However, if _time is the first column of the table, better way to access it is via $click.value$

<drilldown>
      <eval token = "l"> $click.value$+1200</eval>
       <link target="My New Window">
           <![CDATA[/app/cherwell_ops/blueprint_drilldown?form.blueprint=$row.BlueprintName$&form.earliest=$click.value$&form.lastest=$l$]]>
       </link>
     </drilldown>

If _time field is not the first column in the table, you should use the following eval

<eval token="e">strptime($row._time$,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S.%3N")</eval>
<eval toke="l">strptime($row._time$,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S.%3N")+1200</eval>

Also print the tokens $e$ and $l$ in your dashboard to ensure they are picking up values as expected

<table>
    <title>Earliest: $e$ - Latest: $l$</title>

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There's a closing parenthesis missing in your eval element for e, and I'd use an eval element for the addition operation for l as well.

0 Karma

Kozanic
Path Finder

Thanks for that pick up

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...