Splunk Search

How to pass list string as an arguments to Splunk macro

thinhdinh
Path Finder

Hi Splunk experts,

I am a new face here. I have a task for multiple alerts creating. I am wondering is it possible to pass a list of strings as an argument to my custom macro. Let's me explain more about the idea:

My argument will be like this: 

"scope=A"

"scope=A OR scope=B"

"scope=A OR scope=B OR scope=C"

Basically scope can be equals to whatever value as much as we need and I want to write a macro just has only one argument, but I still could add number of values to my macro:

myMacro(1)

How can I solve it? Thank in advance.

Tags (2)
0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can create the macro with one argument and pass what you like, so all of your examples would be fine.

However what is it you are trying to achieve with that macro. I am guessing it's some kind of search filtering from your examples. 

It looks like you're wanting to have a flexible 'search for x=y' where x and y can be 1..n and x can be different fields also or is 'x' always scope?

Can you explain in more detail what you want the macro to do and where in the search pipeline it's intended for, part of the base search or following the first | (pipe)

thinhdinh
Path Finder

Hi @bowesmana ,

Exactly! That is what you are guessing. The reason I want to like that because I have bunch of scopes and I don't want for each of scope I have to write a macro. I need to make the argument that I am passing to my macro is flexible., from that we only have one macro. Value of scopes will be added before the pipeline and they are searching strings. Example:

host=host source=source ("scope=A OR scope=B OR scope=C OR...") | .....

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Maybe you would be better of just writing

host=host source=source scope IN ("A","B","C")

I am assuming the scope is a field in your data? 

thinhdinh
Path Finder

@bowesmana  Hi, sorry to bother you again. So how can I pass those scopes to my macro?! When I tried to do something like this, it's not working for me:

myCustomMacro(scope=("A", "B", "C"))

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I am not sure what you want the macro to do - what is the need to have a macro in the first place.

What will the macro in addition to the search itself?

0 Karma

thinhdinh
Path Finder

I have bunch of different scope as I said before and for each of those scope I have to write an alert. With a help from macro, my task should more easier. That's why I need a macro with a flexible argument. Yes, I have moved the argument to the search itself, it's not required in the first place.

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The search will produce a set of results and the alert will come from those results. I don't see where the macro is required in this, but perhaps you can provide some more detail on the actual result you are looking to get out of this alert.

0 Karma

thinhdinh
Path Finder

Sure we can write different search queries for each scope, but it is too long. That's why I want to use macro in this case. I don't have one alert, I have bunch of alerts and the result of them depends on their scopes. As I know macro is not required to use if we don't like.

0 Karma

thinhdinh
Path Finder

Hi @bowesmana 

It looks super simple 🙂. Yes, that is a field of my data.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...