Splunk Search

How to pass a value from a search to another search?

xnx_1012
Explorer

I have two sources
- /var/log/secure
- /var/log/audit/audit.log

Here is my SPL so far

(index=* source="/var/log/secure" AND "*sudo*"  AND ("*chown*" OR "*useradd*" OR "*adduser*" OR "*userdel*" OR "*chmod*" OR "*usermod*")  AND COMMAND!="*egrep*") OR
    (index="*" source="/var/log/audit/audit.log" addr!=? res=success* [search index=* source="/var/log/secure" AND "*sudo*"  AND ("*chown*" OR "*useradd*" OR "*adduser*" OR "*userdel*" OR "*chmod*" OR "*usermod*")  AND COMMAND!="*egrep*"
| dedup date_month date_mday 
| fields date_month date_mday])
| regex _raw!= ".*user NOT in sudoers.*"
| rename acct as Users   
| rex field=_raw "(?<=sudo:)\s*(?P[[:alnum:]]\S*[[:alnum:]])\s*(?=\:).*(?<=COMMAND\=)(?.*)"
| eval "Command/Events" = replace(command,"^(\/bin\/|\/sbin\/)","")

| eval Users = if(match(Users,"(?<=[[:alnum:]])\@[[:alnum:]]\S*[[:alnum:]]"),
    replace(Users,"(?<=[[:alnum:]])\@[[:alnum:]]\S*[[:alnum:]]",""),
    if(match(Users,"[[:alnum:]]+\\\(?=[[:alnum:]]\S*[[:alnum:]])"),
    replace(Users,"[[:alnum:]]+\\\(?=[[:alnum:]]\S*[[:alnum:]])","")
    ,Users))

| eval Time = if(source=="/var/log/secure" ,strftime(_time, "%Y-%d-%m %H:%M:%S"),null()), Date = strftime(_time, "%Y-%d-%m")
| eval "Report ID" = "ABLR-007"
| eval "Agency HF" = if(isnull(agencyhf),"",agencyhf)
| stats list(Time) as Time list("Command/Events") as "Command/Events" latest(addr) as "IP Address" by Users Date host index "Report ID" "Agency HF"
| where 'Command/Events' !=""
| eval counter=mvrange(0,mvcount(Time))
| streamstats count as sessions
| stats list(*) as * by sessions counter
| foreach Time "Command/Events"  [ eval <> = mvindex('<>', counter)]
| fields - counter sessions
| rename index as Agency, host as Hostname
| fields "Report ID" Time Agency Command/Events Hostname Users "IP Address" "Agency HF"

Problem
The SPL runs slow when I have a big data. I just want to know if it its possible to trim down the results returned by /var/log/audit/audit.log by passing the latest time in /var/log/secure. For example the latest record in /var/log/secure is May 5 2020, 2pm... is it possible to run a search for the other one, /var/log/audit/audit.log , that is from May 5 2020 00:00 to May 5 2pm? and if I have other events too like Feb 3 8 pm as the latest time... can I achieve it?

0 Karma
1 Solution

PavelP
Motivator

Hello @xnx_1012 ,

you can definetely optimize this search.

Your question: I just want to know if it its possible to trim down the results returned by /var/log/audit/audit.log by passing the latest time in /var/log/secure. - I hope somebody can advice on this better than me.

The SPL runs slow when I have a big data. - I think this caused by using too broad and not exact search criteria. Depending on your environment these adjustments can provide a majour speedup:

• specify index explicitly: replace index=* with index=your_index
  • use TERM(useradd) instead of *useradd*
  • try to use stats instead of subsearch
  • restrict the time range

Let me know if it worked

View solution in original post

0 Karma

PavelP
Motivator

Hello @xnx_1012 ,

you can definetely optimize this search.

Your question: I just want to know if it its possible to trim down the results returned by /var/log/audit/audit.log by passing the latest time in /var/log/secure. - I hope somebody can advice on this better than me.

The SPL runs slow when I have a big data. - I think this caused by using too broad and not exact search criteria. Depending on your environment these adjustments can provide a majour speedup:

• specify index explicitly: replace index=* with index=your_index
  • use TERM(useradd) instead of *useradd*
  • try to use stats instead of subsearch
  • restrict the time range

Let me know if it worked

0 Karma

xnx_1012
Explorer

Thank you for your reply, is TERM faster that's why you suggest me how to use it and how can I implement stats, sorry a bit new to it

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...