Splunk Search

How to pass a value extracted from a main search to a sub search from different source?

vivek991985

Example:

source="FILE1.log" search_input | rex ".*]*Rpc id :(?[0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9])" | append [search source ="FILE2.log" rpc_id]
0 Karma
1 Solution

Sukisen1981
Champion

Hi @vivek991985
You can't pass a value from a main search to a sub search, it works the other way round.
That being said and from what I can understand try something like this -

source ="FILE2.log"  | eval id=[search  source="FILE1.log" search_input | rex ".*]*Rpc id :(?[0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9])" |return $rpc_id]

Basically, the eval gets executed first and whatever rex you are performing (assuming the rex works) gets assigned o the field id, you can then pipe on and do what you need with file2log source

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Sukisen1981
Champion

Hi @vivek991985
You can't pass a value from a main search to a sub search, it works the other way round.
That being said and from what I can understand try something like this -

source ="FILE2.log"  | eval id=[search  source="FILE1.log" search_input | rex ".*]*Rpc id :(?[0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9])" |return $rpc_id]

Basically, the eval gets executed first and whatever rex you are performing (assuming the rex works) gets assigned o the field id, you can then pipe on and do what you need with file2log source

0 Karma

vivek991985

Thank you @Sukisen1981

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...