Splunk Search

How to pass a field from subsearch to main search and perform search on another source

Sivakesava574
Explorer

How to pass a field from subsearch to main search and perform search on another source

i am trying  to use  below to search all the UUID's returned from subsearch on path1 to Path2, but the below search string is not working properly 

source ="Path2" | eval id=[search source="Path1" "HTTP/1.1\" 500" OR "HTTP/1.1\" 400" OR "HTTP/1.1\" 404" | rex "universal-request-id- (?<UUID>.*?)\s*X-df-elapsed-time-ms" | |return $UUID]

suggest me on where i am doing wrong

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Is UUID a field which is already extracted in the first search or do you need to extract it before searching for matching values e.g. something like this

source = "Path2" | rex "universal-request-id- (?<UUID>.*?)\s*X-df-elapsed-time-ms" | search [search source="path1" "HTTP/1.1\" 500" OR "HTTP/1.1\" 400" OR "HTTP/1.1\" 404" | rex "universal-request-id- (?<UUID>.*?)\s*X-df-elapsed-time-ms" | fields UUID | format ]

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Sivakesava574
Explorer

i explored couple more options, but still unable to get what i intended to do 

source = "Path2" [search source="path1" "HTTP/1.1\" 500" OR "HTTP/1.1\" 400" OR "HTTP/1.1\" 404" | rex "universal-request-id- (?<UUID>.*?)\s*X-df-elapsed-time-ms" | fields UUID | format ]

I see sub search is returning valid results but some how it is not being applied to main search 

search source="path1" "HTTP/1.1\" 500" OR "HTTP/1.1\" 400" OR "HTTP/1.1\" 404" | rex "universal-request-id- (?<UUID>.*?)\s*X-df-elapsed-time-ms" | fields UUID | format

Output: ( ( UUID="API-217008d9-373c-49f1-a51c-51c53f96c6c6-1628298298579" ) OR ( UUID="API-b5259d2f-5744-4745-b86c-f02877439c87-1628276133453" ) )

Please advise how to pass these values to main search 

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Is UUID a field which is already extracted in the first search or do you need to extract it before searching for matching values e.g. something like this

source = "Path2" | rex "universal-request-id- (?<UUID>.*?)\s*X-df-elapsed-time-ms" | search [search source="path1" "HTTP/1.1\" 500" OR "HTTP/1.1\" 400" OR "HTTP/1.1\" 404" | rex "universal-request-id- (?<UUID>.*?)\s*X-df-elapsed-time-ms" | fields UUID | format ]
0 Karma

Sivakesava574
Explorer

This is working now. I used this option before posting the question but missed using "search" after extracting the field from main search. once i used that search it is working like a charm. Thanks very much for this

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

Could you try this https://community.splunk.com/t5/Splunk-Search/Subsearch-fields-quot-query-quot-quot-search-quot-How-...

... | eval id=[.....| rename UUID as search] 

r. Ismo

0 Karma

Sivakesava574
Explorer

Hi,  i tried the above options but it did not resolve my issue. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...