Splunk Search

How to optimize the search with join command

shashank_24
Path Finder

Hi, I have a query where I need to join it by a lookup to match the records. This is horribly slow and could be because of join command as it is very expensive. 

Is there a way to optimize this search as I have to run this for last 90 days and it keeps running for ages.

My lookup only consist of one column i.e. URL against which I need to match the records and then count them

Let me know if someone can advice

index=myapp_pp sourcetype=access_combined GET host="my-server-*"
| join requested_conten
    [| inputlookup vanity.csv 
    | rename url as requested_content] 
| stats count by requested_content
| sort - count

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

to4kawa
Ultra Champion
index=myapp_pp sourcetype=access_combined GET host="my-server-*" [|inputlookup vanity.csv | rename url as requested_content |fields requested_content]
| stats values(requested_content) as requested_content

You don't need join , I guess.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion
index=myapp_pp sourcetype=access_combined GET host="my-server-*" [|inputlookup vanity.csv | rename url as requested_content |fields requested_content]

You don't need join , I guess.

0 Karma

shashank_24
Path Finder

@to4kawa that's right. It worked without join command.

Also is there a way to list out the unmatched url's from csv. I mean I want to run a search against those URL's in the CSV (around 900) for last 90 days and just list out the one's which are not present in the search/events.

Let me know if you can advice please.

0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

index=myapp_pp sourcetype=access_combined GET host="my-server-*" NOT [|inputlookup vanity.csv | rename url as requested_content |fields requested_content]

try NOT for unmatched searching.

0 Karma

shashank_24
Path Finder

@to4kawa Thanks for your quick response but this search will give all the results from my search.

So what I am looking for this is -

probably a table something like this - My lookup contains one column with around 800 requested_content and I want to find if any of those present in my search. If yes then "yes" and if not then "no".

requested_contentpresent
/checkoutyes
/your-detailsyes
/billingno

Basically, I only want to list out the requested_content from the csv whether it's matched or not. I don't want to print anything else from the main query.

Hope I am able to explain. Let me know if it requires another question.

I have tried something like this but it doesn't work -

index=myapp_pp sourcetype=access_combined GET host="my-server-*"
| eval type="MainIndex" 
| fields requested_content type
| appendpipe  
    [| inputlookup vanity.csv  
    | eval type="lookup" 
    | rename vanity_url as requested_content 
    | fields type requested_content ] 
| stats dc(type) as pot, values(*) AS * by requested_content
| where pot=1 and type="lookup"
0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

I see your problem. but your problem is another question. Please ask a separate question.

0 Karma

twesty
Path Finder

Assuming you're joining on requested_conten and not requested_content

something along the lines of lookup vanity.csv requested_conten OUTPUT url as requested_content

if the question contains a typo then you can easily modify the lookup command to fit your needs. Check out the documentation for lookup here: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/SearchReference/lookup 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...