Splunk Search

How to monitor three users?

woodlandrelic
Path Finder

Hi 

My system is Linux.  Am trying to monitor 3 users in an index.  The last time they login, IP address etc. There are over 180+ user. How do I get the search to show just the three users I want e.g James Peter and John?

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

PaulPanther
Builder

Hi @woodlandrelic 

if they fields for user, login time and IP address are already extracted you could set up a search like that

index=abc user IN (James,Peter,John)
|stats latest(login_time) by ip_address, user

View solution in original post

PaulPanther
Builder

Hi @woodlandrelic 

if they fields for user, login time and IP address are already extracted you could set up a search like that

index=abc user IN (James,Peter,John)

woodlandrelic
Path Finder

@PaulPanther 

Thanks. I have another user am monitoring in another index. Is there a way to combine both or will have to save them as a report individually?

0 Karma

PaulPanther
Builder

You could combine both indexes like

(index=abc OR index=def) user IN (James,Peter,John)

But that's a bit theoretical because I don't know if the data source  or format that you wanna search through is the same. Feel free to provide some more information about the events.

woodlandrelic
Path Finder

@PaulPanther 

Fantastic! It worked. I will find my way from here. Appreciate the quick help. Thanks

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...