Splunk Search

How to make a search case-sensitive?

muebel
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

How can I make a search case-sensitive? That is to say, I search for the general term "FOO" and want to only match "FOO" in results, and not "foo"

Tags (2)
1 Solution

cyue_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

CASE(foo) will only return events with "foo", but not "FOO" or "Foo".

View solution in original post

jburman123
Explorer

I am using SPLUNK Enterprise 6.1, your suggestion of using | where field="FOO" fails

0 Karma

jburman123
Explorer

I want to perform a simple substring match that is case sensitive; for example find all occurrences of Test in a text file and ignore strings like test or test*. If you try CASE(Test) it fails? Any suggestions?

Nikita_Danilov
Path Finder

What Splunk's version are you using? Try it:

| where field="FOO"
0 Karma

cyue_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

CASE(foo) will only return events with "foo", but not "FOO" or "Foo".

northben
Explorer

and in a strange irony, the CASE command is case-sensitive

bwooden
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If the field is extracted: http://answers.splunk.com/questions/3485/can-i-make-field-values-case-sensitive

That thread also contains another technique if the field is not extracted.

ftk
Motivator

Hmm, I don't think you can turn case sensitivity on in the general search, but you should be able to hack it with rex:

foo | rex "(?<uppercase>FOO)" | search uppercase=*
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...