Splunk Search

How to look for two values that occur at the same time per host?

AssureSec
Loves-to-Learn

Hello all,

I am trying to figure out the following:

1. If an alert for rule_id1 occurs at the same time on the same host as an alert for rule_id2 then don’t report the alert on rule_id2.
2. Otherwise report alerts on rule_id2

I have triend the if(match) and if(like) method and neither are able to yield the results I am hoping for.  Also not sure how to incorporate the time check as well to ensure the fired at the same-ish time.

Any and all help greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Labels (4)
0 Karma

AssureSec
Loves-to-Learn

So basically ruled_id1 and 2 are two different events.  What we want to do is make sure that if there is a event for rule_id1 and an event for rule_id2 on the same host, at the same time, we don't display those and only display the events where only rule_id2 has an event.  If both rule_id1 and rule_id2 have an event at the same time for the same host, those are false positives.

rule_id1 and rule_id2 are the same field just different values. How to find when they occur at the same-ish time and on the same host/user and then only display the unique occurrences of rule_id2 or what is left.

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Assume that the field with values rule_id1 and 2 is called "rule", and the condition "same-ish" can be implemented with search in 5-minute bins, this should work:

index=myindex rule IN (rule_id1, rule_id2)
| bin span=5m _time
| stats values(rule) as rule by _time host
| where rule == "rule_id2" AND NOT rule == "rule_id1"

The last filter reads a little silly if it is in another language.  But SPL's equality operator returns true when any value in a multivalue if the other value is single valued.  A more semantically explicit expression can be

| where isnotnull(mvfind(rule, "rule_id2")) AND isnull(mvfind(rule, "rule_id1"))

In plain English, the search says: give me data containing values of both rule_id1 and rule_id2 in each 5-minute calendar intervals for each host, then find out which host and interval combinations contain only rule_id2 and not rule_id1.  A key test of suitability for this solution will be whether x-calendar interval is a good enough approximation of "same-ish". (What I am getting at is that a calendar interval is not a rolling time window.)

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Because SPL is a streaming language, you'll have to explain and illustrate raw data (anonymize as needed), illustrate how rule_id1 and rule_id2 relate to such data.

For example, suppose your raw data contains some events with a field rule_id1, some others with a field rule_id2; suppose the first alert fires up when rule_id1 exists, and the second alert fires up when rule_id2 exists plus the simultaneity condition you described.  Further assume that "same-ish time" means test in 5-minute bins.  Then, your second alert can be

| bin span=5m _time
| stats values(rules_id1) values(rules_id2) by _time host
| where isnull('values(rules_id1)') AND isnotnull('values(rules_id2)')

This example shows how a solution is closely related to details of data and individual criteria.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...