Splunk Search

How to list fields, values and also index and source names using fieldsummary

chanmic

Hi All,

I need to look for specific fields in all my indexes. Using fieldsummary, I am able to get a listing of my specific fields, count, distinct_count and values, but I also like to add 2 new columns so it would also give the index and the source names.

Is there a way to do this with fieldsummary or would there be an alternatively.

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

javiergn
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

See if the following helps and run it against last 24 hours or less if possible (careful as it will be a bit slow):

| tstats count WHERE index=* GROUPBY index, sourcetype
| fields - count
| rename index AS indexname, sourcetype AS sourcetypename
| map maxsearches=5 search="| search index=\"$indexname$\" sourcetype=\"$sourcetypename$\" | head 100 | fieldsummary | eval index=\"$indexname$\", sourcetype=\"$sourcetypename$\" | fields index, sourcetype, *"

You can play with the maxsearches value to match your needs once you have the final version as it can't be unlimited I'm afraid.
If you want the source instead of the sourcetype simply replace it in the query above.

View solution in original post

javiergn
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

See if the following helps and run it against last 24 hours or less if possible (careful as it will be a bit slow):

| tstats count WHERE index=* GROUPBY index, sourcetype
| fields - count
| rename index AS indexname, sourcetype AS sourcetypename
| map maxsearches=5 search="| search index=\"$indexname$\" sourcetype=\"$sourcetypename$\" | head 100 | fieldsummary | eval index=\"$indexname$\", sourcetype=\"$sourcetypename$\" | fields index, sourcetype, *"

You can play with the maxsearches value to match your needs once you have the final version as it can't be unlimited I'm afraid.
If you want the source instead of the sourcetype simply replace it in the query above.

chanmic

Thanks Javiergn

0 Karma

AishBhardwaj

Is there a way to get difference in two searches using the above search?
Basically I am trying to see the difference in fields today from yesterday and I also want to display the source name and index.
I can easily find the difference but I can’t display the index name and source name with it. The above query seems to serve the purpose but I can’t figure out how to use this in my case. Any help appreciated.

0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

please ask by another question and provide sample query.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...