Splunk Search

How to iterate over a row of results returned by stats command?

ameyaam
Engager

I have log file in which each log has a conversationId field and a transactionId field. The logs are of various machines communicating with each other and each communication between the machines is called a conversation. For every conversation there are multiple log entries all having the same conversationId but different transactionId. I want to first find the earliest transactionId for each conversation in my logs and then fetch all the events that have this conversation + transactionId pair and also the string "input record" in it.

How do I go about doing this?
I first tried to use the stats command to get the values of all conversationIds but I dont know how to find the earliest transactionId for each conversation and then iterate this over all the conversationIds returned by the stats command.

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

lguinn2
Legend

Okay, now that I understand the question better, try this to return the events, not the stats:

"input record" [ search "xyz" | stats earliest(transactionId) as transactionId by conversationId ]

The only problem here is that the subsearch (the part in brackets) is limited to 10,000 results. If that is a problem for you, then you could do this:

"input record"
| join transactionId conversationId [ search "xyz" | stats earliest(transactionId) as transactionId by conversationId ]

This has a limit of 50,000 events, but it will be slower. However, neither of these searches will be particularly fast.

View solution in original post

maciep
Champion

not sure if this possible and can't test right now, but was thinking of something like this. Create a table of conversationId, min transactionId and a list of the _raw events from that conversation. Then search for only those conversations whose raw events match your search string.

[search for all conversations] |stats min(transactionId) values(_raw) as conversations by conversationId | where match(conversations,"xyz")

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

Okay, now that I understand the question better, try this to return the events, not the stats:

"input record" [ search "xyz" | stats earliest(transactionId) as transactionId by conversationId ]

The only problem here is that the subsearch (the part in brackets) is limited to 10,000 results. If that is a problem for you, then you could do this:

"input record"
| join transactionId conversationId [ search "xyz" | stats earliest(transactionId) as transactionId by conversationId ]

This has a limit of 50,000 events, but it will be slower. However, neither of these searches will be particularly fast.

lguinn2
Legend

Try this

yoursearchhere "input record"
| stats earliest(transactionId) by conversationId

If that isn't what you want, you could do this

yoursearchhere
| stats earliest(transactionId) as transactionId earliest(_raw) as raw by conversationId
| where raw like "%input record%"

If you want to only see the transaction id and conversation id, add this to the end of the search

| fields conversationId transactionId

ameyaam
Engager

Thanks but the stats command returns statistics and I want events. Basically, here are the steps I want to follow:
1) Find all events that have some string "xyz" in them. This will give a filtered list of conversations.
2) For each of the above conversations, find the earliest transaction id in its respective conversation.
3) Use this transaction id and conversation id pair to search through ALL events (not just the filtered ones in step 1 because the events filtered in step 1 may not contain the events that have the 2 ids and the string "input record" in them) and find the event that has the string "input record" in it along with the conversation id and transaction id pair and do this for all the id pairs found in step 2.
4) Display the events found in step3

So in the end, I want the events not the stats

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...