Splunk Search

How to improvise the the SPL using lookup to reduce false cases?

Woodpecker
Path Finder
Hello,

I have a SPL which detects the lookalike short and long domains. My goal is to  implement a CSV lookup which  allows  to add exceptions to these results. For example if “compeni” is a false & its close to “company” it will keep flooding these results. So, I would like to have a CSV lookup which can  be edited overtime to reduce the false cases

column in csv can be something like reel_domain which consists of the list of false domains.

Now my question is how can I implement my idea in the below search?

index=* src_user!="" src_user!="*company" AND src_user!="*comp.com" AND src_user!="*compan.com" AND src_user!="*compe.com" AND src_user!="*compani.com"
| dedup src_user 
| rex field=src_user "(?:@)(?<detected_domain>[^>]*)" 
| eval domain_list=split(detected_domain, ".") 
| eval domain_list=mvfilter(len(domain_list)>3) 
| eval domain_list=mvfilter(domain_list!="filter_example")
| eval domain_list=if(mvcount(domain_list)>3, mvindex(domain_list, -3), domain_list) 
| rename domain_list as word2
| makemv word1 
| eval word1 = mvappend(word1, "company") 
| lookup local=t ut_levenshtein_lookup word1 word2 
| eval ut_levenshtein=mvfilter(ut_levenshtein!=0) 
| eval ut_levenshtein=min(ut_levenshtein) 
| rename ut_levenshtein as ct_long
| rename word1 as lg_domain
| eval word1=mvappend(word1, "comp"), word1=mvappend(word1, "compan"), word1=mvappend(word1, "compe"), word1=mvappend(word1, "compani") 
| lookup local=t ut_levenshtein_lookup word1 word2 
| eval ut_levenshtein=mvfilter(ut_levenshtein!=0) 
| eval ut_levenshtein=min(ut_levenshtein) 
| rename ut_levenshtein as ct_short 
| rename word1 as st_domain 
| rename word2 as input_dom
| search ct_short<=1 OR ct_long<=3 
| table src_user input_dom st_domain ct_short lg_domain ct_long

Any help would be appreciated..

Thanks in advance

Labels (1)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Woodpecker,

you could create a lookup (calleg e.g. false_positives.csv, with one column called e.g. "pattern")  in which you could store all the false positives you have and the add to your search a row like this

| search NOT [ | inputlookup false_positives.csv | rename pattern AS query | fields query ]

In this way you perform a full text search on your events excluding the events where one word match one of the patterns of your lookup.

You have to put this command in the main search.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...