Splunk Search

How to hide an entire field value?

fatanyk
Explorer

Hello,

I've an index where all my data is stored and I want to create 2 savedsearch : 

- one with all the data (i have to create this one because there are others sourcetype that i don't want the user to access).

- one with less data

I have an issue when i create my savedsearch with 

|table myfield1,myfield2

i can see myfield3 in the events tab from the search result.

In fact, i want to see myfield3 from events tab only with my savedsearch with all the data but not in the other one.

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @ITWhisperer,

data access is controlled at index level, but you cannot give access to a user to a part of the index.

You can create dedicated dashboards that display only some fields, but you have also to block the access to the raw data (Open in search feature).

A good approach could be the one hinted by  @ITWhisperer of creating a new Summary index with only a part of information for these users.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @ITWhisperer,

data access is controlled at index level, but you cannot give access to a user to a part of the index.

You can create dedicated dashboards that display only some fields, but you have also to block the access to the raw data (Open in search feature).

A good approach could be the one hinted by  @ITWhisperer of creating a new Summary index with only a part of information for these users.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

fatanyk
Explorer

I'll try to check that.

Thx

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @fatanyk,

good for you, see next time!

Ciao and happy splunking

Giuseppe

P.S.: Karma Points are appreciated by all the contributors 😉

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The events tab shows the events from the initial search, before any transformation such as removing a field from the output of the search.

Instead, you could use a summary index to store the depleted events.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...