Splunk Search

How to group values on the Flat\Untable multiple columns to get Trellis to work?

kuzkuz
Explorer

Hello, either I'm missing something or this is impossible, I have a table like this:

Type,Model,Vendor,Total
A,100C,IBM,100
A,200C,Apple,50
B,25D,Apple,25
C,100C,Amazon,5

I would like the new Trellis visualization to provide a sum based on each column values, basically, this would save me creating lots of panels in dashboards.

In a nutshell it's like running stats for each column:

index=x|stats sum by Total, Model

I was trying to do the following:
Unpivot\Untable all values of columns into 1 column, keep Total as a second column.

The result should look like:

MyAttrib,Value,Total
--------------------------------
Type,A, 100
Model,100C, 100
Vendor,IBM, 100
Type,A, 50
Model,200C, 50
Vendor,Apple, 50

I tested the values in a formatted table like this, and Trellis make it look awesome.

How cool would it be to have a command like this to group values on dynamic columns on any given table? 🙂

Is that possible?

0 Karma
1 Solution

kuzkuz
Explorer

Might as well answer my own question.

The solution was simple, just using Untable with the "Total" field as the first argument (or use any other filed with Count)

index=mydata|untable Count,Column,Value|stats sum(total) by Column,Value

Look at all the pretty pie charts!

Sample search on forwarders data:

index=_internal source=*metrics.log|table *|untable index,column,value|stats count(index) by column,value

alt text

View solution in original post

kuzkuz
Explorer

Might as well answer my own question.

The solution was simple, just using Untable with the "Total" field as the first argument (or use any other filed with Count)

index=mydata|untable Count,Column,Value|stats sum(total) by Column,Value

Look at all the pretty pie charts!

Sample search on forwarders data:

index=_internal source=*metrics.log|table *|untable index,column,value|stats count(index) by column,value

alt text

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...