Splunk Search

How to group the daily active users by their activity during the last 2 weeks?

HeinzWaescher
Motivator

Hi,

I would like to group the daily users by their number of active days during the last 2 weeks. My current search looks like this:

| bucket span=1d _time
| stats dc(user_id) AS count BY user_id, _time
| sort 0 + _time
| streamstats window=14 dc(_time) AS active_days BY user_id
| timechart span=1d dc(user_id) BY active_days

But this calculation does not include days of inactivity (because of the stats command) and ends up incorrect results.

How can I achieve my goal?

BR
Heinz

0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Try this:

| timechart span=1d count BY user_id
| streamstats window=14 count(eval(count>0)) AS active_days BY user_id

View solution in original post

HeinzWaescher
Motivator

I think I've found a workaround. But it's veeeery expensive so I'm not really happy with it.

| bucket span=1d _time
| stats dc(account_id) AS dc by user_id_1, _time
| eventstats values(account_id) AS user_id_2
| mvexpand user_id_2
| stats count(eval(if(user_id_1=user_id_2, user_id_1, null()))) AS active BY user_id_2, _time
| sort 0 +  user_id_2, _time
| streamstats window=14 global=f dc(eval(if(active=1, _time, null()))) AS active_days BY user_id_2
| search active=1
| timechart span=1d dc(user_id_2) BY active_days limit=14
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

See my update (new comment at the bottom) that fixes the problem with the solution as originally presented.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Try this:

HeinzWaescher
Motivator

hi,

thanks for your answer. But I think the streamstats doesn't like the "timechart BY" before. It is not adding the active_days field

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You are correct; I am working on a correction.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Try this:

| untable _time user_id count

HeinzWaescher
Motivator

Hi woodcock,

thanks a lot for coming back to my problem.
I think we have to do some small adjustments, then this approach shows complete & correct results:

| timechart span=1d count BY user_id limit=10000000
| untable _time user_id count
| sort 0 + account_id, _time
| streamstats window=14 global=false count(eval(count>0)) AS active_days BY user_id
| timechart span=1d dc(eval(if(count>0, account_id, null()))) BY active_days

The sort command should have the same effect on the results like global=false, but I hope it helps to improve the peformance of streamstats.

Is there an option that tells a timechart to set the limit=infinite ?

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

The sort portion is destroying the function of the search. The results must remain sorted primarily by _time or the streamstats part will not work correctly so definitely remove the sort line. That is a very important catch on the global=false part though!!! Usually limit=0 disables the limit entirely but I have not tried it on timechart.

0 Karma

HeinzWaescher
Motivator

There is no difference, when I remove the sort line. And I don't get how this could destroy the function.
In the end the streamstats command has to analyse a window of 14 days per user_id. After the sort line, the table is so well prepared, that I could even delete the global=false command.

0 Karma

HeinzWaescher
Motivator

PS: limit=0 is fine in the timechart

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...