Splunk Search

How to group multiple field values into one field

DEAD_BEEF
Builder

I have logs where I want to count multiple values for a single field as "start" and other various values as "end". How would I go about this? I want to be able to show two rows or columns where I show the total number of start and end values.

index=foo (my_field=1 OR my_field=2 OR my_field=3 OR my_field=4 OR my_field=5 OR my_field=6)
| eval start = my_field=1 OR my_field=2 OR my_field=3
| eval end = my_field=4 OR my_field=5 OR my_field=6
| stats count by start end
0 Karma
1 Solution

DEAD_BEEF
Builder

I ended up using case

index=foo (my_field=1 OR my_field=2 OR my_field=3 OR my_field=4 OR my_field=5 OR my_field=6)
| eval status=case(my_field=1 "start", my_field=2 "start", my_field=3 "start", my_field=4 "end", my_field=5 "end", my_field=6 "end")
| stats count by status

View solution in original post

DEAD_BEEF
Builder

I ended up using case

| eval status=case(my_field=1 "start", my_field=2 "start", my_field=3 "start", my_field=4 "end", my_field=5 "end", my_field=6 "end")
| stats count by status

somesoni2
Revered Legend

That would be the way to go. A minor cosmetic change (clubbing multiple conditions together, adding else/default forrest of values/conditions):

| eval status=case(my_field=1 OR my_field=2 OR  my_field=3, "start", true(), "end")
 | stats count by status
0 Karma

khreddy
Explorer

You could use "in" function to check the static value list to the above query:

| eval status=case(in(my_field,1,2,3),"Start",in(my_field,4,5,6),"End",1==1,NULL)
| stats count by status

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...