Splunk Search

How to get the latencycount by each Api using stats

tarunreddy_anth

I am just trying to get the latency count of API by taking the AVG responsetime of the API and using the avg as threshold, for example:

api totalCount AvgRespTime latencyCount
XXX1 250 5sec it should be the count of the API XXX1 which exceeds the AvgRespTime of XXX1
XXX2 300 8sec it should be the count of the API XXX2 which exceeds the AvgRespTime of XXX2.

I am trying the stats command as:

| stats  count(Api) as totalcount avg(time) as AvgRespTime  count(eval(time>avg(time))) by latencycount by Api

Please help me how to get the latencycount by each Api using stats.

0 Karma

tarunreddy_anth

correction:

| stats count(Api) as totalcount avg(time) as AvgRespTime count(eval(time>avg(time))) as latencycount by Api

0 Karma

jpolvino
Builder

eventstats may help here:

(your search here)
| eventstats avg(duration) AS baseline BY api
| eval overbaseline=if(duration>baseline,"true",null())
| stats count AS totalcount avg(duration) AS AvgRespTime count(overbaseline) AS latencycount BY api

Any event over the baseline (the average) gets a field overbaseline with value true. Otherwise, it gets nothing.

0 Karma

tarunreddy_anth

Hi, Jpolvino

The result of latency count is just showing zeros

0 Karma

jpolvino
Builder

Is stats generating any output?

Is your duration in a field named "duration"? If not, then you'll need to replace duration with whatever fields contains the duration you want to measure.

To test, you can also delete lines 3 and 4 from above, and change eventstats to stats, and see if that is working. If it works, then add line 3 (change stats back to eventstats on line 2) and take a look at events above and below each api's baseline value. You should see overbaseline=true for values greater than the api's average.

0 Karma

solarboyz1
Builder

I think you are want to use eventstats:
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.3.1/SearchReference/Eventstats

| eventstats avg(time) AS avgRespTime by api
| where time>avgRespTime

This will calculate the average response time across events, and trigger when that average is exceeded.

0 Karma

tarunreddy_anth

Hi , Thanks for replying, I am trying to get the count of each APIs which exceeded their independent avg response time.

0 Karma

solarboyz1
Builder

Add the by api which will give you an average per API.

If you want to aggregate those per run:

| eventstats avg(time) AS avgRespTime by api
| where time>avgRespTime
| stats count as count,  avg(time) as avgRespTime, by api

The eventstats calculates the avg(time) by API and adds it to each event.
The where filters on only those events were the avg was exceeded

The final stats line, is to aggregate whatever statistics are needed from the sessions that exceeded the threshold.

0 Karma

mayurr98
Super Champion

I am not sure what you are trying to do: your query seems to be wrong and incorrect

do you mean this ?

| stats count(Api) as totalcount avg(time) as AvgRespTime latest(time) as time by Api 
    | eval latencycount=time-AvgRespTime 
    | fields - time
0 Karma

tarunreddy_anth

Mayurr, I want the count of the APIs that are above the Avg response time of the APIs

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...